Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What did you read in February 2006?

Not as much as January but some real good ones:

• A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemmingway - Part of my Modern Library top 100 novel project. I'm not a Hemmingway fan and the foreshadowing in this book was as subtle as a brick.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman - EXCELLENT! And I highly recommend it as an audiobook - Gaiman reads it and the Gothic Archies do musical interludes and the rats' singing.

Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno - A novelization of weeks immediately following Revenge of the Sith. Passable.

The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain - Another Modern Library book, very good. I'm looking forward to watching the film.

Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith by Kevin J. Anderson - Not a fan of Anderson's work.

Death Without Weeping: The Violence of Everyday Life in Brazil by Nancy Scheper-Hughes - Horrifying, disgusting, brilliant and inspiring. The best anthropology I have ever read. The simple thesis of a 500 page epic: All mothering is adoptive.

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion - The best memoir I've ever read.

Asa Gray by A. Hunter Dupree - An excellent biography that holds up after almost 50 years.

The Sandman: Worlds End by Neil Gaiman - This series never disappoints.

Star Wars: Infinities - Return of the Jedi by Adam Gallardo, Ryan Benjamin, and Saleem Crawford - not as good as A New Hope, but a nice ending.

Sin City: Hell and Back by Frank Miller - Not his best work.

2. # ADS

brdgt, you are really a reader! Since this is my busy time of year with the Legislature in session (and the most brutal session I can remember!), I have been reading very little besides magazines. However, I can manage to get through American Heritage, American History, National Geographic and Budget Living every month, so I'm not completely cut off from the world of words. I have also almost finished a book about the Cavalry arm of the Army of the Potomac, so I'm not totally a slacker.

Re: What did you read in February 2006?

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    I've started reading this but haven't finished it yet, it's too depressing so far...

I've been reading mostly books in Swedish this month, and I'm too lazy to look up the English titles. :-)

Re: What did you read in February 2006?

Quote Originally Posted by teagrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    I've started reading this but haven't finished it yet, it's too depressing so far...
    Well, it certainly made me think about my will!

Do books assigned in classes count? "Teaching to Transgress," by bell hooks. My favorite assigned reading of February.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_stroozi
    Do books assigned in classes count? "Teaching to Transgress," by bell hooks. My favorite assigned reading of February.
    You can do whatever you want :)

I count course books if I "really" read them (I do a lot of skimming :) Hence, I counted Asa Gray's biography, because I wrote a book review of it and read it very carefully, but I also "read" half a dozen other course books that I didn't count.

I read more Agatha Christie books:

At Bertram's Hotel
    Hickory Dickory Death
    Murder in Three Acts
    Death on the Nile

At Bertram's Hotel was my first of the Miss Marple mysteries and I enjoyed it more than I thought. I like Hercule Poirot a lot, so I was reluctant to put him aside for Miss Marple, but she's pretty entertaining herself.

i love reading

here are some books i have just finished reading and re-reading:

memoirs of a geisha - my third re-read, i LOVE this book

the poet - crime mystery, really good, almost done

and i just bought an agatha christie, which i have not read in ages. i can't wait to start it. it's hercule poirot and it's called black coffee.

zorro - isabell allende - i love her writing but this left me a slight bit disappointed.

a thread of grace - historical fiction based on fact about the italian effort to save jews during wwii. it was so good it made me want to learn italian.

I LOVED Memoirs of a Geisha - it's one of my favorite books to dip into and reread.

Ariel: the restored edition ; a facsimile of Plath's manuscript, reinstating her original selection and arrangement
    by Plath, Sylvia.

Winner of the National Book Award : a novel of fame, honor, and really bad weather
    by Willett, Jincy.

Both of the above were recommended on getcrafty in a blog about february/v-day/love themed books, by bookish (?).
    the poems are wonderful, the novel was not as good as i expected it to be. it was completely different from everything i read about it. i was a bit disappointed and a little bored with it.

The Heidi chronicles and other plays
    by Wasserstein, Wendy.

Wendy Wasserstein died recently. I was curious about her work. It is definately about women from a certain generation (baby boomers) and everything that is unique to them. i didn't relate to them because of that, and honestly i get a little annoyed by baby boomers, their outlook is not everyone's outlook and everything they have or had to say isn't relevant today or to me. but, i found her writing intriguing, the characters interesting, to sum up i liked her style.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads