View Poll Results: Have you read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 73.33%
  • No

4 26.67%

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Has anybody read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou? I managed to miss out on reading it in both high school and college. Now I'm working on my M.A. and it's one of the books I have to read for ENGL 510: Literature for Adolescents.

I'm only on chapter six, so perhaps I haven't given the book a fair chance yet, but I'm really not enjoying it. I want to like it. I think Maya Angelou's poetry is great but this book just isn't pulling me in. It lacks the spark that encourages me to flip the page, to get to the next chapter, to find out what happens next.

I don't read a lot of biographies or autobiographies usually, but I've certainly read a few that I liked, but I think the main difference is those biographies and autobiographies didn't focus on the author's childhood.

Oh well. I couldn't stand Eudora Welty's autobiography either :P Maybe it's just not my favourite genre. Either way, I have to finish I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings before Tuesday afternoon and compile a few pages of research on the Harlem Renaissance that would be helpful to give to students reading the book to generate a better understanding. (Of course I'm only on chapter six and the Harlem Renaissance hasn't exactly been mentioned yet. If the book continues at the pace it does it'll be a while before I get to the relevant parts but I feel like skimming a book cheapens it in some way. And I just haven't been finishing enough books lately. I've started at least a dozen this year and maybe finished three of them, which is ridiculous. I used to be such an avid reader but working all the time and going to grad school pretty much sucks it out of you. Oh well, enough complaining.)

2. # ADS

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I liked this more than her poetry.

I somehow escaped reading it also, except for an excerpt in a Women's Lit class in college. I read it later myself.

as a lit. major i hesitate to admit it---but i hate the biography genre. they usually aren't very enthralling, and i find myself thinking that if i wanted history lessons, i woul've been a history major.

but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by jaimers
    as a lit. major i hesitate to admit it---but i hate the biography genre. they usually aren't very enthralling, and i find myself thinking that if i wanted history lessons, i woul've been a history major.

but that's just me.
    I was an English major, too. But it's not that I hate the genre of biography as a whole, just those that spend an inordinate amount of time on the author's childhood. It makes me sound so uncaring, but honestly, I just don't care. They'd have to have an AMAZING style or story to pull me in.

I'm now 128 pages in and it's improving somewhat but still isn't something that I'd recommend to others.

Quote Originally Posted by h_pets360
    Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I liked this more than her poetry.

I somehow escaped reading it also, except for an excerpt in a Women's Lit class in college. I read it later myself.
    I'm reading it for a class entitled Literature for Adolescents, but I have yet to find someone who actually read it in secondary school, which makes me wonder why it's been assigned.

What did you enjoy about the book?

I read it ages ago, in high school I think, but since I remember almost nothing about it, I don't think it made much of an impression. And I usually like biographies, memoirs, that sort of thing.

i read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings in high school, as part of the curriculum. i liked it, but the only part i can really remember is when she was raped by her stepfather (?) because it was so upsetting for me to read.

Remove Ads

Ads