Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What did you read in March 2006?

So busy with school this month, just one "actual" book...

Books:
    • In the Footstep of Mr. Kurtz: Living on the Brink of Disaster in Mobutu's Congo by Michela Wrong - Good but I felt like I didn't have enough background on the situation.

Audiobooks:
    • The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova - One of the worst books I've ever read. This woman hasn't met an adjective she didn't like.

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin - What an amazing series, so many surprises in this one too, I can't wait to find out what happens in A Storm of Swords!

Comics:
    • The Sandman: The Kindly Ones AND The Wake by Neil Gaiman - Finally finished the series :(

Conan Volume One: The Frost Giant's Daughter and other Stories AND Volume Two: The God in the Bowl and other stories by Kurt Busiek, Cary Nord, Thomas Yeates, and Dave Stewart - the first one was better than the second, but still a nice revival of the series.

Star Wars: Empire, Vol. 3: The Imperial Perspective AND Vol. 4: The Heart of the Rebellion by Dark Horse Comics (editor) - better than the first two volumes, especially the story of an officer in the Empire.

Star Wars: Clone Wars, Vol 5: The Best Blades AND Vol 6: On the Fields of Battle by Dark Horse Comics (editor) - great series, hands down.

Star Wars Tales, Vol. 5 by Dark Horse Comics (Editor) - These are sort of touch and go, but there was a James Kolchalka tale that amused me.

Star Wars: Jango Fett: Open Seasons by Haden Blackman, Ramon Bachs, and Raul Fernandez - Pretty darn good, actually.

2. # ADS

Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger - I LOVE this book. I've still got a little bit to go. The story is unlike anything I've ever read before.

Various pregnancy books, 9 weeks today and I'm burnt out on the books! lol

Night - can't remember the author but it's the current Oprah book. I borrowed my mom's copy (she actually finished a book!) and then found out that my 18 yr. old sister in law read it too - I'm so excited that she likes to read. :)

I started on Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, but got caught up in the Time Traveler's Wife, so I'll have to get back to that sometime soon.

i read a bunch of zines i picked up during nj zine fest.

i sorta read Assata- Assata Shakur's autbiography, i want to finish it, and it's a book for class, but alas no time.

AIDS and Accusations: Haiti and the Geography of Blame: for my HIV/AIDS seminar history class. really good and insightful on how the epidemic in the 80s occured in Haiti, along with the uses of socery as explanation and the US's policy against Haiti, blaming Haiti as the source of the disease.

meh. i wish i could have read more!

I'm reading "The Mismeasure of Man" by Stephen Jay Gould for a class and it is an amazing book. He was such a good science writer. Granted, I have to look up the definition of every other word but he's so good it's worth the effort.

I'm currently reading "Southland" by Nina Revoyr. It's fiction involving race, class, and mystery in Los Angeles.

I decided to reread one of my favorite children's books, "From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" - LOVE it!

And read Edith Wharton's "Age of Innocence" - I found it depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea
    Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger - I LOVE this book. I've still got a little bit to go. The story is unlike anything I've ever read before.
    Yay for you! The Time Traveller's Wife is an amazing book. I loved it.

Various pregnancy books, 9 weeks today and I'm burnt out on the books! lol.
    Congratulations on your pregnancy! My daughter is seven weeks old tomorrow, so my official reading for the month of March was What to Expect the First Year by Heidi Murkoff, Sandee Hathaway & Arlene Eisnberg. I've posted this elsewhere but a pregnancy book I really liked was Up The Duff by Kaz Cooke, an Australian author. It sells in America as A Bun In The Oven. It's very down to earth and funny.

Quote Originally Posted by cathybmoore
    I decided to reread one of my favorite children's books, "From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" - LOVE it!
    That was one of my favorites too - I try to reread my favorite kids books in the summer, that'll have to go on my list :)

Finally finished up "The Union Cavalery Comes of Age" by Eric Wittenburg, and have started Jenny Uglow's "The Lunar Men." I'm about halfway through that. I have also read through a stack of National Geographics that I "borrowed" (read: stole) from my ex-husband.

i had a really bad march, meaning that i couldn't get my head straight to focus on much of anything. i did read my lover's lover, an english novel. it was good and a quick read. i am now reading animal dreams by barbara kingsolver, so far so gooc.

Finders Keepers by Linnea Sinclair: I liked that this was a perfect blend of space opera and romance, but I didn't like that it had too many romance cliches (like the alpha hero who felt the need to protect the perfectly capable heroine).

Song of Unmaking by Caitlin Brennan: I'm enjoying this series and I can't wait to read the next book in the fall. The fantasy world and the characters are so real. The only thing I don't like is the character Euan and the heroine's continued obsession with him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads