Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hmm, did I kill this thread?

I just wanted to add:

Finland:
    Leena Lehtolainen

(just finished a book by her, it was OK)

2. # ADS

I have to second the Janet Evanovich books. They are kind of fluffy, but they are very funny and quick to read.

Patricia Cornwell is good, but like teagrrlsaid, her later stuff isn't as good.

I like:

Sarah Caudwell's mysteries. - Snarky Barristers solve law related crimes

Kate Ross's Julian Kestrel series - Regency mysteries, it is important to read this series in order (but there are only four or five of them).

Barbara Neely's Blanche series - cleaning women make excellent detectives - this series also does a great job of examining race and class in the US

I'll second (third? forth?) Dorothy Sayers. Both before and after meeting Harriet - Lord Peter is terrific

I though that The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl was really good. I enjoyed the mystery he wove into the first American translation of The Divine Comedy, and some of the deaths made chills go up and down my spine.

for fluffy "wow, this is like watching TV but in book form" i like Patricia Cornwell, although i agree that her later stuff pretty much sucks. my sister and i both take guilty pleasure in her "Scarpetta" novels, and we call her "Patricia Cornhole" because it's hilarious to us.

i also like Dashiell Hammett (sp?) stories, and Sherlock Holmes stories, although i mostly listen to them in mp3 form. www.librivox.org has some mysteries that you can listen to, and they are great for listening while crafting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda Arcane
    I though that The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl was really good. I enjoyed the mystery he wove into the first American translation of The Divine Comedy, and some of the deaths made chills go up and down my spine.
    Me too, but not necessarily in a good way. I don't have a super high tolerance for maggots.

I agree with picapica about the Barbara Neely's Blanche books. It's been a while since I read those: I have to see if there are any new ones out. And it's been ages since I read the Sarah Caudwell books, but I liked those a lot, too.

Joe R. Lansdale has the best mysteries I've ever read. He's probably my favorite author of all time. "Sunset and Sawdust" is the most recent one, and it's phenomenal.

It's mystery, but it's hilarious. He writes about the South, usually from an impoverished point of view. I can't recommend his stuff enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads