Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good Mystery Wanted!

I have been dying to sink my teeth into a really good mystery - any suggestions from my fellow crafty ladies? Thanks!

2. # ADS

Hey, janaka. Have you read any of Minette Walters' books?

She's probably my favorite mystery author, but I find that many other people haven't even heard of her.

yes, i have read a lot by her. the last one i tried to read was fox evil, but i couldn't get into it.

I recently read and really liked *Death of a Nationalist* by Rebecca Pawel. It's set in Spain immediately after the Civil War, and the detective is a member of the fascist police. I don't really think it's a conventional mystery, though. There is a mystery, but the real drama isn't watching the detective bring the killer to justice. It's watching the detective begin to question his concept of justice.

i really like the elizabeth george - inspector lynley mysteries.

I love, love, love the Dave Robicheaux novels by James Lee Burke. Can't recommend them enough.
    I also absolutely love Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries, even if they were written in the 1920's and '30's.
    And if you've never read them, get hold of a complete Sherlock Holmes. Great stuff stands the test of time.

I love the Maisie Dobbs mysteries by Jaqueline Winspear.

And though I'm sure you've already read them, the Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith is wonderful. And of course anything by Elizabeth Peters-- I love the Amelia Peabody Series, but basically will just slurp up anything she's written in any of her incarnations.

i am soooo going to the library tomorrow....thanks for all the great suggestions!!

I love mysteries! They seem to be the only kind of eading I can really get into and actually finish.
    For a really fun read you might try Janet Evanovich http://www.evanovich.com/
    My mom and I are completely addicted to her Stephanie Plum series. When we run out we run right away to the library and shout "I need a Evanovich fix!" These are completely hilarious with a good mystery to them also.
    Another female I love, who hasn't written very many is Sparkle Hayter http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/sparkle-hayter/
    Hers are a load of fun too.
    I also like vintage mysteries. Any thing by Erle Stanley Garner is great!! He wrote all of the Perry Masons and also under the pen name of A.A. Fair .
    Another on the very pulpy mystery side are the Mike Shayne mysteries written by Brett Halliday.

Quote Originally Posted by belleepoque
    And though I'm sure you've already read them, the Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith is wonderful.
    I haven't actually read this one yet, but I love reading mysteries from different parts of the world. You sort of get an insight into the culture within the framework of a mystery/crime story. I mostly read contemporary ones, especially by female writers.

I don't know how many of these authors are available in English (well, the English-language ones should be...), but I thought I'd post them anyway:

Sweden:
    Liza Marklund
    Åke Edwardson
    Håkan Nesser (though his books don't take place in Sweden, but in a town that could be anywhere in Europe)

Denmark:
    Gretelise Holm

Norway:
    Karin Fossum
    Anne Holt

Germany:
    Christa von Bernuth

Iceland:
    Arnaldur Indridason

Britain:
    Elizabeth George (as has already been mentioned)
    Val McDermid (I love both her less serious books about Kate Brannigan, and the more serious books)
    Ian Rankin
    Peter Robinson
    and lots more authors that I can't come up with the names of right now

Canada:
    Giles Blunt

USA:
    Carol O'Connell (I loved Judas Child, but haven't really gotten into any of her other books)
    Michael Connelly
    Patricia Cornwell (her first couple of books; I've heard that the later ones suck)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads