Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What did you read in April 2006?

Slow month, lots of deadlines and stress, few good books too!

Comics:
    • Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy Volume 1: Homeland by R. A. Salvatore, Andrew Daab, and Tim Seeley - Awful, just awful.

Star Wars: Clone Wars, Vol 6: When They Were Brothers by Dark Horse Comics (editor) - the worst in an excellent series - what was up with the artwork?

Star Wars: General Grievous by Dark Horse Comics (Editor) - Eh.

Audiobooks:
    • Bait and Switch: The (Futile) Pursuit of the American Dream by Barbara Ehrenreich - Sloppy and smug. It redeemed itself a little at the end, but don't pick this up just because you liked Nickeled and Dimed, this is not of that caliber.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - There were a lot of things I liked about it, but the reliance on coincidence as a plot device and the repetition of themes (and even descriptive phrases) was sloppy.

Books:
    • What Mad Pursuit: A Personal View of Scientific Discovery by Francis Crick - An interesting take on what a famous discoverer thinks of the process of discovery. His comments on Rosalind Franklin still bug me though.

The Physicists: The History of a Scientific Community in Modern America by Daniel Kevles - Excellent. One of those books that are several inches thick and you still finish them thinking "wow, how did he fit all of that in there." Plus, he somehow made the Superconducting Supercollider interesting ;p

2. # ADS

Information about Hip Spicas. My little baby goes into a plaster on Thursday. :-(

Too many magazines and not enough (OK, none) books.

I started a fluffy "ladies" novel called A Taste For It (or something like that) but I couldn't even really get into that. I've come to the conclusion that for the next few months I need books that will grab me enough to want to keep returning to them because I need to stop so frequently to look after Clio. Maybe I should start a new thread: Quick, gripping reads for new mothers...

I have actually read a lot this month, though nothing all that "brainy".

Some new to me Dean Koontz novels: Demon Seed, Dragon's Tears, and Tick Tock. I liked them all fairly well but Demon Seed. I thought that one was sorta lame.

The Handmaid's Tale-Margaret Atwood. I actually read this in one night.

Charlotte's Web
    Stuart Little
    (I bought a collection of E. B. White at the thrift store, I only have The Trumpeter Swan left)

Diary of a Manhatten Call Girl- It was hard to like the main character for obvious reasons. I managed to get into it, though, and then really disliked its ending. Too abrupt, no closure at all. I wouldn't recommend it.

The Diary of Mattie Spenser- It's a fictional frontier novel, with a bit of a feminist lean. I really felt for Mattie, and got into reading this novel. It's disturbing and sad in parts, but well worth the read.

I couldn't pay attention to anything this month. I tried to read: Aquamarine, The Eight, and a few others but just couldn't focus.

I read the new Greg Iles mystery, Turning Angel. I really like his mysteries - they are smart.

Now, I'm reading The Red Tent. I know...everyone read it years ago. It's been on my list for a long time and I've finally gotten around to it. I am enjoying it...great story.

just a lot of articles and EPA docs for school...

oh, and the new Spin-Off mag...

I finally got around to reading the Da Vinci Code. Now that it's out in paperback, I decided to invest the $10 to check it out. It read like an action movie, so I can see why the public has gone hay-wire over it. Overall I it was a quick, easy read, but it didn't alter my life or anything.

I also read "The Good Body" by Eve Ensler. I enjoyed this one better than the Da Vinci Code. It made me feel better about my thighs and stomach. Da Vinci Code didn't do that.

And, I read the April/May issue of Bust (love Bettie Page!), and I picked up a new magazine that I found out about on this website. Get Creative is my new fav magazine. Well.....it ties with BUST. I really like BUST.....

Quote Originally Posted by happyhats
    The Handmaid's Tale-Margaret Atwood. I actually read this in one night.
    The Handmaid's Tale is one of the fastest reads out there, I think. If you liked the story, I'd recommend Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro. Same sort of distopia-ish idea with a different twist. I read the entire thing in one afternoon.

My April reading list included some re-reads: The DaVinci Code (not a great re-read; better the first time around), and The Time Traveler's Wife (one of my all-time favorites, and just as good the second time).

Also I read half of Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott, and I liked it but got distracted by The Time Traveler's Wife. Anne Lamott is a good writer though - very witty - so I'd like to pick the book up again soon.

the pirates! in an adventure with ahab

lots of kids storybooks for my speech team

the first harry potter book

the pirates! in an adventure with scientists

April was not a good reading month for me. But I read most of Lorine Niedecker's collected poems for a class, I loved it. Also am in the middle of both The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion and Samuel Johnson is Indignant by Lydia Davis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads