Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: food memoirs?

food memoirs?

i just finished garlic and sapphires by ruth reichl, and i'm craving another book in the same genre--garlic was AMAZING. has anyone read any good food memoirs?

2. # ADS

I'm not sure if it's technically classified a memoir, but there's Coming Home to Eat by Gary Paul Nabhan. It's about his experiences eating locally (within 250 miles of his home) for a year in the southwest. It's one of my favorites.

not necessary a memoir, per se, but Tucker Shaw has a book, Everything I Ate where he took pictures of everything he ate for a year. I like the pictures of food, and it's interesting in how it correalates with how much money/time/etc he has...He eats a lot of cereal.

LOL I was just going to start this thread!

The only contributions that I can make are books by Anthony Bourdain: A Cook's Tour and Kitchen Confidential. He has one coming out called The Nasty Bits which I'm on the waiting list for (*squee*!)

oh cecilia have you read the first two ruth reichl memoirs? i've only read tender at the bone. it was really good!

i've also read kitchen confidential, and i just love dat man!

twiggs, do you have travel channel? do you watch no reservations? i don't have it, but comcast has it on on-demand. le sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by athena
    oh cecilia have you read the first two ruth reichl memoirs? i've only read tender at the bone. it was really good!
    I second the Ruth Reichl books Tender at the Bone and Comfort Me with Apples -- both really great reads (especially for summer)! I liked them better than Garlic and Sapphires, by far.

Also, anything by MFK Fischer is good, though it's less pop-culture-ish and more old-fashioned. But definitely must-read classics if you really want to get into the genre.

Other fun food reads are the books by Peter Mayle, who writes about vacationing and eating in France.

What about Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen? Sorry if you already knew about it, it's everywhere these days, but I've been lusting after this book forever and it's the first thing that popped into my head.

Ayun Halliday has a new book out called "Dirty Sugar Cookies: Culinary Observations, Questionable Taste". Anything by her is guaranteed to be good!

I really liked Candy and Me by Hillary Liftin (at least, I think that was her name). It was nice to read about someone who loves sugar as much as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by athena
    i just love dat man! No Reservations?
    Ditto and yes, every chance I get!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads