Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What did you read in May 2006?

• Books:
      This Cold Heaven: Seven Seasons in Greenland by Gretel Ehrlich - There were things I liked about this but overall I thought she was a really poor writer who romanticized her subjects. I mean, how many times can you use the word "buxom" in a book about Greenland?

Sufferings in Africa: The Astonishing Account of a New England Sea Captain Enslaved by North African Arabs by James Riley - Not what I expected. Riley was shipwrecked in the early nineteenth century, when slavery was still legal in the US, but he was never really "enslaved." His captors were more interested in a ransom and he was more interested in locating Timbuktu (for which there was a prize to the first White person to find it).

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith - Entertaining, but obviously written by a white man, even though it is about an African woman.

Ghostwritten by David Mitchell - I love Mitchell and this book (his first) doesn't disappoint. It is to Cloud Atlas what Dubliners was to Ulysses - if Cloud Atlas is a little daunting, give this one a try. The chapter on the Englishman was my favorite, sort of a love letter to London.

• Audiobooks:
      Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner - Smug, contradictory, and frustrating. Ironically, one of the best audiobooks I've listened to this year, very good production and attention to the nuances between print and audio presentations.

• Graphic Novels/Trade Paperbacks:
      Serenity: Those Left Behind by Joss Whedon, Brett Matthews, and Will Conrad - In the spirit of the show/film.

The Walking Dead Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore - Excellent series, even though they totally steal a plot device from "28 Days Later."

Ex Machina Vol. 2: Tag by Brian K. Vaughan, Tony Harris - Another great series.

Y the Last Man: Girl on Girl by Brian K. Vaughn, Pia Guerra, Goran Sudzuka and Jose Marzan, Jr. - Not as good as some earlier issues and the art work is slipping a little.

The Walking Dead Vol. 2: Miles Behind Us by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard - Just as good as the first one.

The Walking Dead Vol. 3: Safety Behind Bars by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard - The epitome of that line by Sartre, "hell is other people."

Star Wars: Visionaries by Aaron McBride, Erik Tiemens, Mike Murnane, Derek Thompson, Alex Jaeger, Stephen Martiniére, Robert E. Barnes, Sang Jun Lee, Ryan Church, Feng Zhu, and Warren J. Fu - interesting compilation of art and ideas from Star Wars art design crew.

2. # ADS

I started Teacher Man by Frank McCourt (Angela's Ashes is my favourite book) but I haven't finished yet so technically it will be a June read, which means for May I read NOTHING, unless we're counting magazines, in which case I read the May and June issues of Delicious (a cooking mag) over and over again.

once I was done with school I was a reading machine:

The Glass Castle
    , Jeanette Walls (memoir)
    The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver (fic)
    The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitz (re-read)
    Fun House, Alison Bechdel (graphic-novel memoir)

I think that was it. It felt like there was so much more.

I read the DaVinci Code. It was pretty interesting and a fast read but did not seem as big of a deal as it should have been. Other than that I have been reading text books since I am taking some interim classes and one is Astronomy and boy is it interesting!

Aargh. I can never do these threads because I don't remember what I read and when I read it. And also, a lot of what I read is tedious and academic. But I read:

How I Live Now, a young adult novel that I read in sitting, stayed up waay too late to finish, and really loved. I recommend it. I also recommend reading it before you give it to any kids, because it's a bit intense.

I also read Murder in the Marais, a mystery set in Paris. I couldn't suspend disbelief quite enough to believe that a secret cabal of former-SS-officers ran Germany in the mid-90s, but the series seems promising.

And I can't remember anything else that anyone here would be interested in hearing about.

Green River Running Red by Ann Rule.

I also read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, along with

How to be Lost by Amanda Eyre Ward,

The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman,

Must Love Dogs by Claire Cook, and

Intuition by Allegra Goodman.

i read a really terrible short story in the New Yorker and a lot of journal articles about toxicology... i'm looking forward to the summer so i can finally read some actual books.

Ghostwritten is one of my favourite books ever! Was the first of Mitchell's that I read. I love getting to the end and seeing all the links between the different parts.

I read eight books this month, but I left the list at home, so I'll have to write it up later.

I've been pretty crappy about reading this year. I blame my boyfriend--he has the TV on all the freaking time--but I actually read a respectable amount of books this past month.
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card: I was afraid I wouldn't like it as much as Ender's Game. It was very different but still very good.
    The Women’s Room by Marilyn French: Some 70's feminist novel. The first half was okay and reminded me of a fictionalized Feminine Mystique, but then it becomes a totally different book about a bunch of annoying, pretentious, unsympathetic hippies.
    When She Was Bad by Patricia Pearson: Pretty good book about violence in women and how lightly it's taken by most people.
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera: One of those books you feel like you HAVE to read, you know?
    Women in Baseball: The Forgotten History by Gai Ingham Berlage: Interesting subject and it was fairly informative, but poorly written. Like, sophomore-level college course term paper level writing.
    Xenocide by Orson Scott Card: The last of the Ender series and the worst. Oh well. It wasn't horrible, just not as good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads