Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What did you read in June 2006?

Little early, as I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow :)

Books:
    Wellspring of Chaos by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. - A favorite fantasy series of mine. Not the best, but entertaining summer reading.

Field Notes from a Catastrophe: Man, Nature, and Climate Change by Elizabeth Kolbert - Not as good as I hoped, but clear and readable.

The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks - Hilarious. I highly recommend this if you are a fan of zombie movies, apocalyptic scenarios or survival guides.

Audiobook:
    King Leopold’s Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror, and Heroism in Colonial Africa by Adam Hochschild - A very good popular history and excellent with sources.

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin - Amazing series, if you aren't reading it, you are missing out. Go Arya!

Comics:
    Batman: Year One by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli - Not as good as The Dark Night Returns, but still good.

Star Wars: Jedi Council: Acts of War by Randy Stradley, Davide Fabbri, and Christian Dalla Vecchia - Not very good at all. Poor story, bad art.

Star Wars: Jango Fett by Ron Marz and Tom Fowler - Pretty good actually.

Death: The Time of Your Life by Neil Gaiman - The climax was a little odd, but still very good.

Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi - These books are great. If you think you don't like comics, check this one out.

Fables Vol 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham - A new series I'm getting into, pretty good. The premise: characters from fables have been exiled from their realm and must fit into modern society.

Star Wars Empire Vol. 5: Allies and Adversaries by Jeremy Barlow, Ron Marz, Brandon Badeaux, and Jeff Johnson - A strong series and this one has an excellent Clonetrooper story.

2. # ADS

As the temperature goes up, I swear my IQ drops, so this list isn't as extensive as it would be otherwise.

Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Heard about this one for years, finally read it, and loved it

Dipped in and out of The Everything Homeschooling Book by Sherri Linsenbach, to get some ideas and inspiration.

Read Pas De Death by L.M. Vincent (Found it in the thrift store, and couldn't resist picking it up since I'm a dancer :-))

Listened to The Deadhouse by Linda Farstein on CD while basecoating wood for box purses.

Just dug into The Stand by Stephen King

That's about it - feeling rather intellectually lazy now...

not much:

buying solo: the single woman's guide to buying a home (i don't think that's the exact title, but it's close)

harry potter and the chamber of secrets

just checking by emily colas

also read bits and pieces of other house buying books -- can you tell what i'm interested in doing?

I finished The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood just yesterday, and I'm now a few chapters into Spellsinger by Alan Dean Foster.

Microserfs: i liked it. my boyfriend has been trying to get me to read it for years, and i ended up skimming a few pages of Douglas Coupland's new book jPod and i liked it, so i figured i might as well read them in chronological order.

Some cheesy book by a SNAGgy dipwad about his dog. someone lent it to my mom, and it was on her bedside table when i was house-sitting. i skimmed it when i couldn't sleep, and that was about it was good for. it's called "Marley" or something. the dude managed to work boning his wife into a book about a dog more often than i cared for.

Vegan with a Vengeance. it's a cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskovitz (i think) and it's funny and has good-sounding recipes.

and lots of articles and bits and pieces of random other books...

I just read Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris and I loved it. It's like.. A trashy vampire romance murder novel that I couldn't get enough of. You could say I "sank my teeth into it", har har har.
    I also read:
    Hexwood and Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. I liked them both, though they got kind of confusing in bits.
    Diary and Choke by Chuck Pahfhdsajfhhjsfdg. I didn't like Diary because I wanted the ending to be happier (how lame of me!), but I loved Choke. I'm a sucker for a "happy ending".
    And I'm re-reading all the David Sedaris I can get my hands on.
    I'm not a very intellectual reader.

Pay the Piper by Adelyn Bushnell: Okay, so I hear about this great young adult novel about the Pied Piper coming to modern times called Pay the Piper. I get this book and it opens with this old singer reminiscing or some crap and--well, long story short, this wasn't the book I was looking for. Total waste of time, because it sucked.
    Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer: I cried really hard. I loved this book.
    Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez: I really liked how this one ended. I didn't like how long the chapters were, though. It made it really hard to get motivated to read it because I knew I'd have to commit to an hour and a half of reading.
    The Stranger by Albert Camus: Short, pretty interesting. One of those books you feel obligated to read, you know?
    The Postman by David Brin: Kind of annoying when they were talking about those wacky feminists, but otherwise a good read.
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith: This book would have been 100 times better if about 150 pages were cut out. Just saying.

Hey kittnesrme - Try The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett. A pied-pipersish tale as well.

The Cave by Jose Saramago- lovely grammar style and dialogue. though challenging to read sometimes. not something i could read once my brain got dopey at night. This book resonated incredibly well with some of the non-fiction I've been reading about relocalization. I would highly recommend it.

Icelander- fun spoofy book.

Omnivore's Dilemma- for other folks that have read it, or have been talking about organic vs local and etc. Micheal Pollan, the author, has been writing back and forth a bit with the CEO of Whole Foods about some of the "allegations" in the book. worth reading the letters. they are on Micheal Pollan's website.

The Small-Mart Revolution by Micheal Shuman. This is my revolution. Similar in philosophy to the local first foody people, but extending that to include retailers, services, and other locaally owned companies.

Red and Green Fairy Books- Fairy Tale compilations (there's also Pink and Yellow and Orange and etc). My grandmother had a set, so I've had my eyes peeled for these for a long time. Finally scouted some nice hardback versions at a local used book store.

MaryJanes Farm Magazine- This lady grows her own biodeisel. how cool is that!

3 to kill- french mystery. quick and elegant

Lighthousekeeping by Jeanette Winterson- really lovely story. I've always loved this author.

Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons

Charms for the Easy Life by Kaye Gibbons

The Guns of August

i liked them all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads