Thread: Mystic River

Mystic River

I just listened to this book on tape. I was rapt. One day the tape player in the kitchen kept eating the tape, so I went out into the driveway and sat in my truck to listen to the end of that cassette.
    If you've seen the film, you know he (Dennis Lehane) is a good storyteller, and he is also a great character developer and describer. Plus he's just poetic in his sentence-by-sentence writing.
    Not an across-the-board recommendation. Some people might find it dark or depressing.
    I'm going to go to the library this afternoon and look for more Dennis Lehane books.

2. # ADS

cool, cuz the moie was really dark and it bothered me a lot.

I love the Dennis Lehane books. I'm going to read "Gone, Baby, Gone" soon. He's a local author here (Boston area).

Hey, knits4fun, I haven't been here for awhile, good to see your reply.
    I have since read Sacred and Gone Baby Gone. I admire the way he writes of cross and double-cross. We can never be really, really sure.
    Plus, he just looks like a nice guy. And he really brings Boston to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmatta
    Hey, knits4fun, I haven't been here for awhile, good to see your reply.
    I have since read Sacred and Gone Baby Gone. I admire the way he writes of cross and double-cross. We can never be really, really sure.
    Plus, he just looks like a nice guy. And he really brings Boston to life.
    hey!
    I've yet to start Gone Baby Gone, but hope to start it tomorrow on my train commute into work--I just started back today after being out on maternity leave! Did you like it?

I do love how he brings the city to life as well--I've heard Ben Affleck (former Bostonian) will be directing Gone Baby Gone and has just about wrapped up shooting here in the Boston area. Can't wait to read the book and see the movie (hopefully Ben does a good job with it!).

Remove Ads

Ads