Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What did you read in July 2006?

Slow month for me!

Books:
    • The Weathermakers: How Man is Changing the Climate and What it Means for Life on Earth by Tim Flannery - EXCELLENT. Flannery is an engaging and intellegent writer. He is a scientist himself and trusts that his reader can understand basic scientific concepts. He addresses all the key issues, offers clear solutions, and has a realistic approach to corporate vs. cooperative styles and policy vs. personal choices.

Ordermaster by L.E. Modesitt - Eh.

The Men Who Stare at Goats by Jon Ronson - Hilarious and fascinating, a great summer read. Ronson explores the origins of modern day torture techniques in the post-Vietnam manifesto of a man trying to stop violence. Why was the US government blaring the Barney theme song at Iraqi detainees in the first Gulf War? Can you kill a goat by staring at it? What's going on at Guantanamo Bay?

Comics:
    • The Hedge Knight by George R.R. Martin - A fun read for fans of the Song of Ice and Fire series. It takes place over a hundred years before the series, so it's not essential.

Audiobooks:
    • See No Evil: The True Story of a Ground Soldier in the CIA's War on Terrorism by Robert Baer - At times the bitching and complaining of a man embittered by his job and a changing world - and at other times, a fascinating story about how the CIA works (and doesn't work) and informed insights into the future of the middle east.

2. # ADS

i tried, really tried to read reading lolita in tehran. i got to page 70 and it is now waiting to be returned to the library, where i will do a swap and pick up the kite runner, hopefully with more success. :)

Quote Originally Posted by janaka
    i tried, really tried to read reading lolita in tehran. i got to page 70 and it is now waiting to be returned to the library, where i will do a swap and pick up the kite runner, hopefully with more success. :)
    I didn't like either!

Knitting by Anne Bartlett. I enjoyed this. It was entertaining enough to suck me in quickly and keep me returning to it between baby care and housework. I've missed feeling addicted to a book like I did with this one.

Inside the Not So Big House by Sarah Susanka. Inspiring ideas for my tiny home.

The Baby Knits Book by Debbie Bliss. Just my taste in baby knitwear: pale colous, simple, classic shapes, lovely yarn. Alas, Debbie's yarn is expensive so I photocopied some patterns for a later date and returned this one to the library.

Audio -
    "S is for Silence" by Sue Grafton. One of her best ones I think. She very artfully goes back & forth in time in the narrative.

"Population: 485" by Michael Perry - nonfiction. One of my favorite new authors.

Fiction

"The Areas of my Expertise" by John Hodgman. http://www.areasofmyexpertise.com. What a goofball he is. I had many laugh out loud moments in this book of made up trivia and knowledge, but....the shtick does wear thin after about 100 pages. Still and all it's a fun summer read.

Nonfiction
    "Mason Dixon Knitting" - great great knitting book. I got it from the library but am planning to buy.

I hardly ever read all of any book, but this is what I was reading in July:

The Book of the Courtesans: A Catalog of Their Virtues, by Susan Griffin

I love this author's style, and I fell an affinity to the subject matter, great book.

while simultaneously reading
    Visions and Longings: writings of Medieval Women Mystics, by Monica Furlong.

These two books complemented each other well.

Most of the following books:

Jean Lesage and the Quiet Revolution by Dale Thompson - a history of the Quiet Revolution in Quebec. A great read, if a bit dry at times.

Quebec: beyond the Quiet Revolution by Alain Gagnon

Quebec: Social Change and Political Crisis by Kenneth McRoberts

... and a ton of articles about human rights, cultural relativism and imperialism, the international criminal court, etc.

Right now I'm working on Quebec State and Society by Alain Gagnon and Quebec Inc. and the Temptation of State Capitalism by Pierre Arbour. I hope to get to Gendering World Politics by J. Ann Tickner before the Fall semester starts.

Can you tell what I was studying this past semester?

Just got Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere last night, so far it is keeping me gripped!

i read the new Palahniuk book, Haunted. meh. it was okay, but probably my least favorite of his books so far.

some articles in the New Yorker, most of the manual for DJs at the UCD college radio station (my roomate is a DJ, she left it on the coffee table, and it was the most readable thing for while i eat my cereal), a few Western Horseman mags, re-read some articles in Spin-Off, part of Siddhartha again, the backs of cracker boxes, catalogs...

for someone who is pretty much constantly reading, i sure don't get many books read.

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    Quote Originally Posted by janaka
    I didn't like either!
    oh, dear. i haven't been picking goodies recently. sigh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads