August book club discussion thread- the kite runner (Spoiler

okay, here is a starter question:

The novel begins I became what I am today at the age of twelve. To what is Amir referring? Is his assertion entirely true? What other factors have helped form his character? How would you describe Amir?

i was not entirely sure that i understood what amir was referring to when he made this statement. my perception of amir for the whole of the book was that he desperately missed his mother, wanted nothing more than to please his father, and was easily scared by most things. I felt that he already was a weakling prior to the whole incident between assef and hassan. his inaction during that incident made him even more of a weakling, and his actions after that made me think what on EARTH is wrong with Amir?

what say you?

2. # ADS

I agree with you on his character. He was a jerk about being superior. He even had to have someone else win his battles for him when he attempted to try.

I also wasn't sure about the lifetime loyality of Hassen(?).
    I guess it's the culture differences.

i didn't understand about hassan, either. i don't think he ever knew about what amir witnessed, but it was so wrong of amir to make it look like hassan stole. that was not cool.

On Amir's trip back to Afghanistan, he stays at the home of his driver, Farid. Upon leaving he remarks: "Earlier that morning, when I was certain no one was looking, I did something I had done twenty-six years earlier: I planted a fistful of crumpled money under the mattress." Why is this moment so important in Amir's journey

i thought this was important because it meant he finally learned to do right.

The 'fistful of money' incident was the first time he got it right by considering other people.

Why did the adults keep
    the shared father information secret all their life? Wouldn't it have made their friendship a little more mutual? It just seemed like missed opportunities would have been avoided, along with the heartache amir carried.

i was not quite clear if hassan's father knew about that. it didn't surprise me though.

i thought amir's dad was awesome, loved the part when they were crossing the border and he stood up to the soldier who wanted to take advantage of one of the women they were travelling with.

amir's dad was a proud man.

Did America change amir or his dad?

It seemd to me amir tried to hide from his true self.

his dad adapted better while still reamianingtrue to his nature

i don't think amir ever really knew himself until he met hassan's son. this is when we see amir become a human being. i don't think america changed either amir or his father. i think it changed their circumstances.

Remove Ads

Ads