What did you read in August 2006?

I hope it's ok that I started this thread - not looking to preempt anyone, I'm just really curious as to what folks have been reading.

In August I didn't get thru too much but did have a few good reads:

*I finished "Writing on the Body" by Jeanette Winterson. I didn't really like it at first but grew to like it a lot by the end. I loved the ending. And the night i finished it the characters were in my dreams, so I guess the story did quite literally haunt me.

*Mommy Wars - a collection essays from moms who are also writers and their thoughts on the working mom vs. stay at home issue. It was a decent read with some interesting points to it, and also made me appreciate all of the hideous situations I HAVEN'T faced....however, my one complaint is that the voices were fairly similar to each other. A more heterogenous mix of backgrounds, viewpoints etc would have made it better. Maybe part of it is b/c their careers are all similar since they are writers. Also, most of them seemed to have a choice whether they could work or not, whereas my friends and I all seem to have no choice, we need to work if the mortgage is to continue being paid.

*Just started "The Places that Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times" by Pema Chodron. She is amazing. I read the prologue twice already, that's how much it struck me. I think she is someone I need to read lots more of.

2. # ADS

Two Neil Gaimon books- Neverwhere and American Gods *by the way I looked him up due to recommendations from GetCrafty posters!! thanks**

I liked Neverwhere better than AG honestly but both were very good.

Bitch by Elizabeth Wurtzel, some love her some hate her. I like her personally she seems like she would be fun to go out on the town with, though you would probably end up in jail haha. I have a list of other books she referenced that I am interested in now.

A Chosen Faith: An Introduction to Unitarian Universalism by John A. Buehrens and Forrest Church. I bought this because I am in the process of "converting" to the UU church and my first self-study class used this book. It is very good and answered a lot of questions for me.

Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison - it was OK , a one nighter but fun while it lasted :)

Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, Book 7) by Jim Butcher - fun! I like Jim Butcher and other "urban fantasy" that was my fun book before school started :)

That is it besides a bunch of crafting magazines and rereads of books I had already. I have a wishlist starting on books I would like to read (many of which were recommendations from here!) but I have a very small library where I live and interlibrary loans can take a long time [I]

I really can't remember everything I read in August, but I can remember the more recent ones!
    I read the entire Stravaganza series, by Mary Hoffman. By the time I got to the end of the third one, I was just so glad they were over.
    I read Searching for Dragons, by Patricia C. Wrede.
    The Lives of Christopher Chant, by Diana Wynne Jones. For the third time! It is the best book ever.
    Victory, by Susan Cooper. I was a bit dissapointed with this book; I'd hoped for a bit more time-travel sort of thing. But I liked it anyway.
    Sandry's Book and Tris's Book and almost all of Daja's Book, which I finished this morning.
    Aunt Maria, by Diana Wynne Jones.

Books:
    • Braving Home: Dispatches from the Underwater Town, the Lava-Side Inn, and Other Extreme Locales by Jake Halpern - Very entertaining book about how people live in extreme locations and call them home.

Bad Twin by "Gary Troup" - awful, just awful. (A Lost companion novel).

Crossing the Tracks for Love: What to Do When You and Your Partner Grew Up in Different Worlds by Ruby K. Payne - Amazing book continuing Payne's work on "the hidden rules of class" and how couples from different classes can learn to see them and not take actions based on class behavior personal.

Comics:
    • Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel - If you liked Six Feet Under and/or Little Miss Sunshine, check this out. Smart, touching, and engaging.

The Last Siege, The Final Truth (Star Wars: Clone Wars, Vol. 8) by John Ostrander, Jan Duursema, Dan Parsons, and Brad Anderson - A nice conclusion to Quinlin Vos' story up until ROTS.

Ex Machina: Fact v. Fiction by Brian K. Vaughan, Tony Harris (Illustrator), and Tom Feister (Illustrator) - A great series, still doesn't disappoint.

Audiobooks:
    • Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman - OK, I'm realizing I'm not much of a Neil Gaiman fan if it's not Sandman.

I read a lot of Ruth Rendell in August. Actually these were all on audiobook but they were unabridged so I think it counts. ;)

Babes in the Woods
    Harm Done
    Unkindness of Ravens
    Heart Stones

The Ruby Dice- Catherine Asaro: This is a very long novella from Baen's new online magazine, but it's also the first part of her new Skolian novel due next year. It's one of the two best Skolian related works of hers that I've read in the past several years.

Anyone But You- Jennifer Crusie: Cute, fun read, but I actually liked the dog better than the romance. There's just something about contemporary romance that gets on my nerves.

The City of Cries- Catherine Asaro: Another Skolian novella, this one not as good IMO as The Ruby Dice, but still interesting.

Firebirds Rising- Sharyn November, editor: Like all anthologies I've ever read, there were some I loved, some I hated, and some that were just blah. I absolutely must read more by Diana Wynne Jones now because her story was amazing.

Skeen's Return- Jo Clayton: So much better than the first book. I was sort of dreading finishing this trilogy and had some serious buyer's remorse about getting almost every single one of Clayton's books after reading the first book in this series, but now I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.

Fullmetal Alchemist Vol. 7- Hiromu Arakawa: Wonderful as usual. I have a really hard time coming up with words for how I feel about manga.

Light Raid- Connie Willis & Cynthia Felice: I attempted to read a story collection and Willis' first novel last month too and I hated both of them. I know she's highly respected, but I just can't stand her solo writing. Light Raid was better, but it still wasn't a keeper. I wanted more depth.

I haven't been much of a reader at the moment...

To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee. I'm glad I read this, although I still can't decide if it's a classic or a bit too didactic. But I enjoyed it enough to get behind on uni work in order to read it.

Eats, Shoots & Leaves, Lynne Truss. Fun and informative; I finally know how to use apostrophes correctly for plural words. (And I'm on a semicolon kick.) That said, I associate being a punctuation nazi with my annoying thirteen year-old stage, so I have mixed feelings about this.

Sadly, everything else I've read has been lecture notes. Oh, and a few pages of Feynmann's Statistical Mechanics, which was interesting to me but probably not most people.

the kite runner, which really grabbed me from the beginning.
    brick lane. i liked it a lot but the ending was a trifle disappointing.
    the blue place. loved it but the ending was not good.
    just finished reading the cure for dreams by kaye gibbons. it was good but i didn't enjoy it as much as i loved her other books.

A Short History Of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. I'm still ploughing through this one but it's very entertaining and not a subject I'd usually read about so I'm delighted by how much I'm enjoying it.

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. I have to admit I expected this one to be The Most Amazing Book Of All Time given the reviews I've read about it. I didn't think it lived up to the image I'd created in my head but I did really enjoy it.

I also read an interesting book on Steiner education but I can't recall the name. It explained the reasoning behind the set up of the different aspects of a Steiner classroom.

I recently moved to a new apartment, and my hubby decided that we should not get cable TV. So, I read lots in August and started knitting a baby blanket for a co-worker.

I read:

Micah by Laurell K Hamilton, it was a waste of two hours. But I was getting my brakes done, so it was an adequate time filler.

A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison. A good no brainer.

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant.....I loved this book! I don't have words to describe how much I enjoyed it.

The Last days of Dogtown by Anita Diamant.....Not even close to as good as The Red Tent.

The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood....a good story. Cleverly written.

The Wreckage by Michael Crummey. It was alright. I probably will never read it again.

Remove Ads

Ads