Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Public Library

I have drunk the public library kool-aid and am fortunate enough to have an amazing public library.

It started as a way to cut back on spending, but now I honestly have a hard time spending book store gift cards because I think "well, I can get that I the library..."

My library has an amazing selection of magazines (for example, I read both Bust and Bitch through the library and can even check them out), music (and I have non-mainstream, picky tastes), movies (I call it "my netflix"), video games (mostly puzzle/learning games, but a good selection of Myst-type and Civilization-type games), audiobooks (even downloadable ones), and, oh yeah, regular ol' books!

Share your public library love! Lament your library woes!

2. # ADS

Re: The Public Library

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    My library has an amazing selection of magazines (for example, I read both Bust and Bitch through the library and can even check them out), music (and I have non-mainstream, picky tastes), movies (I call it "my netflix"), video games (mostly puzzle/learning games, but a good selection of Myst-type and Civilization-type games), audiobooks (even downloadable ones), and, oh yeah, regular ol' books!
    Where is it???!!! :-)

I drive out of my way to visit a particular branch of my local council's library because it has a fantastic range of books, CDs and DVDs particularly suited to my tastes. It's about 10 minutes out of my way but well worth the extra effort to get there. It's beautiful and sparkly and new too, and I'm a sucker for that. It has a great community noticeboard and stocks lots of free publications. I visit the library for many reasons, like my financial situation and my personal values, but it really is a pleasure to go there.

Well, one nice thing about my library is that it's a system for all of the south central region of my state. What my individual library has is only a fraction of what I can get. I usually request everything online and then go and pick it up at my local branch.

My only library lament is that my card expires in a couple months.
    For a while I went to a smaller library, but when I read most of the books I was even remotely interested in, plus some that I wasn't, Iswitched over to a different library.

I love the library. Most books, I usually want to actually own, but it's great for the little light-reading books like mysteries (that I suddenly only have the attention span for right now being pregnant). Movies aren't all that reliable, they have new releases and everything, but they're usually always checked out or scratched so bad they won't play.

The only bad thing is that right now they are remodeling all of our libraries - good, yeah, except that makes everyone else want to come and the library is now full of people. That sounds good too except when over half of those people are only there to use the free computers for MySpace.

Also, our library is never quiet anymore either. Including the people who work there. =P

I love my public library too! it all started when I moved from nyc to pittsburgh, and my grad school friends and I would walk down to the library almost every day to pick up dvds or books. I started loading up my on-line request list and had something new waiting for me at least every week. it was a great change from my amazon-shopping days in nyc! so when I moved to nj I found an apartment on the same block as the town library and have been rocking it ever since.

mine doesn't have magazines, but it does do on-line requests and interlibrary loan through-out the whole county. and they just changed their dvd borrowing policy from 1 day to 7 day, so I can start getting them as well!

I got my Florida library card before I got my driver's license. 'Nuff said? :D

I love my library as well!

A. #1 Library System in the Country!
    B. They just opened a branch in my building!

Yes, I now have yet another reason to bring my lunch, eat it quickly, and then go upstairs to browse, check out books, and order others from other branches! It even has a children's section and we're in the middle of the downtown area with mostly buisness traffic. I am so very happy!

Quote Originally Posted by little_farm_girl
    For a while I went to a smaller library, but when I read most of the books I was even remotely interested in, plus some that I wasn't, Iswitched over to a different library.
    Library cards expire? I had no idea.

I still have my very first library card. Okay, it is the replacement card I had to pay two dollars for in the third grade for losing my first card. But I am fairly confident that I could still use it in my hometown - chubby little beginner cursive signature and all.

My only library gripe is that in my current hometown, I need a password to access my account electronically, but I forget what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by craftfetish
    Quote Originally Posted by little_farm_girl
    Library cards expire? I had no idea.
    Maybe not all library cards expire. All the ones I've had (about three) have expired. Plus they can be renewed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads