Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What did you read in September 2006?

September reading, the highlight being Never Let Me Go.

• Books:
      Six Modern Plagues and how We Are Causing Them by Mark Jerome Walters: A nice overview of the current issues in ecology and disease, though glaringly missing are controversial social issues like war and race.

The Collected Stories of Greg Bear by Greg Bear: An excellent collection with introductions to each story by Bear about the writing and publishing process.

Vengeance: The True Story of an Israeli Counter-Terrorist Team by George Jonas: Read rather more like a run of the mill interational crime novel than a story of politics and war.

Audiobooks:
      A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin: A new narrator for this book and while he's not bad, he's not as good as the narrator of the first three books. The weakest in the series, as far as I'm concerned, but still an excellent book.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro: Extremely well narrated and fascinating story. On the one hand it's a beautifully nuanced book about human relationships and on the other it's a frustratingly obstuse dystopian vision of humanity's limits.

Comics:
      Star Wars: Chewbacca by Darko Macan, Brent Anderson, Igor Kordey, Jan Duursema, Dave Gibbons, Dusty Abell, John Nadeau, Martin Egeland, and Kilian Plunkett: Awful.

2. # ADS

The Plot Against America by Philip Roth - Historical fiction, imagining what might have been had FDR not won his third term as President. Charles Lindbergh, a historically proven anti-semite, becomes president, establishes peace with Adolf Hitler, America does not enter World War 2, American Jews flee to Canada, and those who stay within the confines of the US are deported to isolated states where the KKK kills them off. It is scary, it is wordy, and it is a big wake up call.

Gramercy Park by Paula Cohen. Another historical novel set in late 19th century New York. LOVED it, basically a revenge story a la the count of monte cristo.

i can't remember the others right now.

i am now reading the death of an ordinary man. i am not too far into it, and i'm not sure if i like it or not yet.

i tried reading the rule of four but couldn't get into it.

I'm finishing up Olympia: Paris in the Age of Manet by Otto Friedrich and will likely finish it tonight. I hate for my comments to be premature, but I've found the book to be both delightful and frustrating in turns. The players in the story are interesting and learning more about them is delightful, but I've been frustrated at the lack of coherency between gossipy tidbits. The book feels like it needs something greater to hold it together. Fin-de-siecle history is a favorite area of mine, and I've been looking forward to this book for awhile, but it doesn't hold a candle to a similar text on fin-de-siecle Vienna by Carl E. Schorske.

This month I also read JT Leroy's The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things. I was kind of taken in by the whole drama of exposing the person/people behind Leroy's persona and finally had to admit I was interested enough to read one of the books. I understand now why people reached out to the author and couldn't help but be angry by the end about using such harrowing tales to manipulate people.

My favorite read this month was Timbuktu by Paul Auster. Just a great, human story. I'll be reading this one again and recommending it to others.

The Reverse of the Medal by Patrick O'Brien. Great book, and number 11 in the Aubrey/Maturin series. I would have liked the characters to have spent more time at sea, though, and I'm dying to know if Diana is going to get a clue and come back to Stephen.

The Admiral's Bride by Somebody who can't Write. I picked this up in the hall of my building- we often leave books for each other. It looked like an espionage novel with a heroine. Instead it turned out to be an unbelievable and stupid romance with very little espionage, believable or otherwise. I was horribly disappointed.

Anna Mannheimer - Annas bästa
    Susanna Ehdin - Lilla boken om hälsa och välmående
    Henry David Thoreau - Walden
    Edwin A. Abbott - Flatland
    Roland S. Persson - Annorlunda land: särbegåvningens psykologi
    Malte Persson - Livet på den här planeten
    Jim Loehr & Tony Schwartz - The Power of Full Engagement
    Tom Egeland - Cirkelns ände
    Scott Adams - Don't Step in the Leadership
    Scott Adams - I'm Not Anti-Business, I'm Anti-Idiot
    Jay Lombard & Christian Renna - Balance Your Brain, Balance Your Life
    Mihály Csíkszentmihályi - Flow
    Albert Camus - The Stranger
    Mario Livio - The Equation That Couldn't Be Solved

I don't really keep to a genre, but I've apparently been on a self-help kick lately.

Carpe Diem by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller: Fun space opera with a nice romance and some really sweet scenes.

Fullmetal Alchemist Vol. 8 by Hiromu Arakawa: This manga got a whole lot more interesting when the storyline diverged from that of the anime.

Return to Calloway Corners: Jericho by Sandra Canfield: Somewhat annoying romance, but at least the hero wasn't a jerk.

The Alleluia Files by Sharon Shinn: Lovely light science fiction and Shinn is a master at blending romance with the speculative elements.

Shattered Dance by Caitlin Brennan: Awful! I don't know why I bothered to finish it because it was a total train wreck from start to finish. I thought this was supposed to be romantic fantasy, but I don't find it at all romantic reading scenes in which the heroine and the hero are having sex with other people and not with each other and then the heroine has to share her man with his wife! The resolution of the fantasy conflict sucked too.

Teagrrl - how did you like "Flow"? I've heard so much about it but have not yet read it.

Quaisior - what is a space opera? Never heard of that

I read a lot of sci fi, some fantasy and a bunch of how to books.

Nancy Kress's "Beggers Trilogy", "Uglies", "Pretties" and "Specials" (don't remember the author just that it is teen scifi), "Cordilias Honor" by Lois McMaster Bujold, and "Kasiel's Scion" (can't remember the author but she is one of my favorite). I also started "The Invisible Ring" by Anne Bishop which takes place in the world of "The Black Jewels Trilogy"

Tomico

Quote Originally Posted by teagrrl
    Mario Livio - The Equation That Couldn't Be Solved
    This sounds interesting- what's it about?

Quote Originally Posted by CraftinFool
    Teagrrl - how did you like "Flow"? I've heard so much about it but have not yet read it.

Quaisior - what is a space opera? Never heard of that
    Space Opera is a genre of sci fi- it's a soap opera set in space. Battlestar Galactica would be a good example. So would Babylon Five.

I heard Flow was good, too, and I would also like to know more about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads