Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What did you read in November 2006?

Too busy with school = lots of comics!

COMICS:
    Fables Volume 3: Storybook Love by Bill Willingham - Snow White and Bigby Wolf, up in a tree...

Star Wars Tales: Volume 6 by Robert Williams, Thomas Andrews, Ian Edginton, Lucas Maragnon, Brandon Badeaux, Cully Hamner, Michael Lacombe, and Steve Pugh - One of the better ones in the series, although the four part storyline was a bit much.

Fables Vol. 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers by Bill Willingham - best one so far, the wooden soldiers were something out a Tarantino film.

DMZ Vol. 1: On the Ground by Brian Wood (author) and Riccardo Burchielli (Illustrator) - Another great title from Brian Wood.

BOOKS:
    The Better of McSweeney's, Volume 1 by Dave Eggers (Editor) - Some stories I liked, most I found pretentious and pure hipster.

Cultural Conceptions: On Reproductive Technologies and the Remaking of Life by Valerie Hartouni - A little dated and overtheorized, but still a good survey of the topic.

2. # ADS

i was also really busy with school, and i had my wisdom teeth removed. i mostly read a lot of zines, but i finally got around to <u>in cold blood</u> by truman capote, and <u>a tree grows in brooklyn</u> by betty smith. i got a free copy of <u>thirteenth tale</u> by diane setterfield from work. it was pretty good, although i thought the ending was a little forced, i guess. and i reread <u>matilda</u> by roald dahl.

listened to the memory keeper's daughter, unabridged = 11 hours of playing. martha plimpton read it. i LOVED it, and wished that i had actually read it instead.

listening to the 13th tale. so far, so good.

read the tortilla curtain. excellent, disturbing, heartbreaking.

read baudolino, didn't really care much for it. i think it was the way it was written.

reading knitting by anne bartlett. only on page 48 but i love it.

next up: the birth of venus. i've been wanting to read it for a while, looking forward to that one.

books received as gifts to be read in december:

the bookseller of kabul
    snow flower and the secret fan
    from baghdad with love
    gilead

Anne's House of Dreams and Anne of Ingleside by Lucy Maud Montgomery (the latter I finished this afternoon!) I'm trying to make my way through the series, rereading what I read when I was twelve and finally reading the last three books. I might take a break in December for some George Eliot.

i work at a book store, and the author of <u>from baghdad with love</u> came in and spoke about a week ago. he was a really great speaker, and he read a bit of the book. i'm hoping to get to it over christmas break. he was really interesting.

just want to say, yay for L.M. Montgomery! I recommend anyone who loves the Anne or Emily series to read her one-off book The Blue Castle, it is lovely.

Kind of a slow month WRT reading. I finished To Kill a Mockingbird early on in the month, then zoomed through The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. I absolutely loved that book and was, as a result, disappointed when my next read, My Antonia by Willa Cather, was so hard to get into. I finally gave up and returned the Cather to the library unfinished.

I'm now part-way through both Sigrid Nunez's The Last of Her Kind (great so far!) and Terry Pratchett's Going Postal, my first Discworld novel.

I have SAD so I am exhausted for most of fall and winter. I decided to read a lot of manga and short fiction this year so I don't feel guilty about not reading much. In November I read:
    The Sharing Knife Volume One: Beguilement- Lois McMaster Bujold: my favorite read of the year; Bujold would be my favorite author if not for Clive Barker

Fullmetal Alchemist Vol. 9- Hiromu Arakawa: my favorite manga series, especially now that the manga has departed from the anime storyline

Inuyasha Vol. 2- Rumiko Takahashi: I think I will like this better once more characters are introduced (I watched the anime show and it ended badly- or it didn't really end at all, which was the problem- so now I have to read the manga in order to see how things conclude)

Fruits Basket Vol. 5-8- Natsuki Takaya: this manga is so cute and fun to read

Irresistible Forces edited by Catherine Asaro: I liked the three stories by science fiction and fantasy authors a lot better than the ones by romance authors, which depended on archaic gender roles and really offended my feminist sensibilities, plus they were so utterly predictable that I need not have bothered finishing them. This anthology convinced me that I'm really not a romance fan and I'm much better off sticking with romantic science fiction

I read:

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson. It's a sequel to Case Histories - I liked Case Histories much more, but I always enjoy Kate Atkinson's books.

Finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - a YA novel that was fantastic. It's a story told by Death about a young girl who lived in Nazi Germany.

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King. I read this in the car while waiting to pick up my daughter from school. It was very good, and not the usual Stephen King fare.

Still trying to get through Outlander by Gabaldon, and I'm reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan which I'm enjoying. I expected it to read like Memoirs of a Geisha, but I feel it reads more like Amy Tan. I suggest when/if you read it, that you look up pictures of how women's feet look after they've been bound. It's horrifying.

The Curse of the Raven Mocker by Marly Youmans.

Slaves of the Mastery and Firesong by William Nicholson.

The Pinhoe Egg by Diana Wynne Jones. Yay! My second favorite Chrestomanci book. I love it!

Into the Labyrinth by Roderick Townley.

The Angel's Command by Brian Jaques.

The Book of Story Beginnings by Kristin Kladstrup. So-so. All those happy endings. And I found a BIG mistake in the book I was writing while I was reading it. At least it has my favorite Time Travel theory.

The Beasts of Clawstone Castle by Eva Ibbotson.

Crispin: At the Edge of the World by Avi. I think I would have benefitted more from it if I remembered what happened in the first book. But I picked it up pretty quick.

The Rescuers by Margery Sharp.

The Star of Kazan by Eva Ibbotson. I still like Journey to the River Sea better.

Aria of the Sea by Dia Calhoun. Last time I read a book by her. They all seem to be like "follow your heart", "be yourself", that kind of thing. Grrr.

Fairest by Gail Carson Levine.

Voyage of Slaves by Brian Jaques. The brand new sequel to "Castaways of the Flying Dutchman." It's good!

The House With a Clock in it's Walls by John Bellairs. Creepy and good. Of course the fact that it's illustrated by Edward Gorey helps in the creepiness.

The Figure in the Shadows by John Bellairs.

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi. I like! I'm partial to seafaring adventure. Even more than dragons. Gasp.

The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I read it in hopes that it would warm me up. I think it made me colder.

[/i]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads