Favorite new authors you've discovered lately

For me, it's:

Michael Perry (Population 485; Truck: A love story)

He's so funny and insightful!

2. # ADS

David Mitchell. This thirty-something has written four novels, two of which shortlisted for the Booker Prize. Not knowing any of that, I picked up Cloud Atlas on a whim this autumn and was truly transported by Mitchell's writing. Not only does he have a gift for allowing his readers to inhabit worlds past and present, his writing seems to have a heart, an ethic, and each story is a reason to think about deeper issues. While not a quick read, Cloud Atlas was really a remarkable book, and I highly recommend it and look forward to reading more of his work in the new year.

Octavia Butler. Since science fiction is mainly considered a masculine genre (males reading males), I'm always interested by female authors who write predominantly in that genre--so, I have no excuse for how Octavia Butler wasn't on my radar. Recently, I was reading book recommendations online and came across her book Kindred. When that was checked out of the library, I settled on Fledgling, a book I gobbled up in two days. Initially, I wanted to say it was a lighter read than Cloud Atlas (which, I think, took me three weeks to read), but that's selling Butler's book too short. Like Cloud Atlas, Fledging uses skillful storytelling to share ideas about big topics--race, community, sexuality. The story she told was a beautiful and interesting one, and I'll be picking up more of her work soon.

Normally I include links to entice people to read more about these authors and books, but I really feel that both Cloud Atlas and Fledgling are too easily spoiled by reading their plot outlines. If anything I've written about the books/authors intrigues you, I encourage you to take a gamble and pick up the book at your local library and/or bookstore, rather than seeking out further description at Amazon.com or elsewhere. :)

I don't know if he's new per say but David Sedaris is one of my fav's and so funny

Remove Ads

Ads