Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What did you read in December 2006?

Busy school month + getting sick = lots of trade paperbacks:

• Good-bye, Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson - Very cute.

The Abandoned by Ross Campbell - A really great zombie themed comic with empathic and realistic characters.

Dead West by Rick Spears and Rob G. - So, I was on a zombie kick when I was sick...

100 Bullets: First Shot, Last Call by by Brian Azzarello - The first story didn't really grab me, but once I understood the concept and got through the second story I was hooked.

100% by Paul Pope - Finally checked out Pope and it was very good.

Escapo by Paul Pope - Not as good as 100%, but a nice ending.

Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughn (author) and Niko Henrichon (illustrator) - I wasn't sure how I would feel about this, but it was actually rather good, and terribly sad.

2. # ADS

This month there was not a lot of reading time but here is what I managed to accomplish:

A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas by Chuck Klosterman

Knitting for Peace by Betty Christiansen

Stitch-n-Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook by Debbie Stoller

I Like You by Amy Sedaris

The Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susanna Clark

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling

The only English-language books I read in December were Ecological Imperialism: The Biological Expansion of Europe, 900-1900 by Alfred W. Crosby and The Culture of Fear: Why Americans Are Afraid of the Wrong Things by Barry Glassner. Both were interesting.

This was my hardest semester (stats UGH) so I didn't read as much as I wanted (this is late Oct -December 31), but I have great plans for 2007!

Some more genre fiction, namely the first Kim Harrison Rachel Morgan books...the first was OK But I stuck with it and really got into the series. The first five in the Vicki Nelson series by Tanysa Huff (go go Bookmooch!!).

Some new jewelry books, Hardwear, button jewelry books, and the Book of Beads with some interesting stuff.

Nothing too deep I am afraid, just no time for it.

This new semester is my last one for my BS *YAY* and I am taking an interesting class that has a lot of reading : The Origin and Logic of Liberal Thought..should be interesting!

well, i read the first half of The God Delusion which was the only thing i wanted to read over the break, but that's better than nothing.

maybe after i finish school, reading will once more become more appealing a pastime than just staring into space.

Here, There be Dragons by James A. Owen. There was a lot of Lord of the Rings rip-offs in this, but that doesn't bother me terribly, since I liked the Lord of the Rings, and besides... it was supposed to be that way. Also, it had the most wonderful, wrapped-up, satisfactory ending I've ever read. I'm not sure I'd even want a sequel to this, which, coming from me, is really something.

I read two Sherlock Holmes mysteries: The Mystery of the Empty House (or something along those lines), and The Mystery/Adventure of the Priory School (ditto).

The Water Mirror by Kai Meyer.

The City of Ember, The People of Sparks, and less than half of The Prophet of Yonwood, by Jeanne DuPrau. The first one reminded me of The Wind Singer, in that there is a city in which everyone takes the strangest things for granted. The second one was not nearly as good as the first, with more morals, though it was interesting in the post-end-of-the-world way. The last one was just awful. Pre-end-of-the-world. 'Nuff said.

The Storm Thief, by Chris Wooding. This one also reminded me of the Wind Singer and The City of Ember.

The Fire Within, (twice), and Icefire, by Chris D'lacey. Kinda soppy, but when all's said and done, pretty good. Good enough to drive me half mad looking for a way to read the sequel online.

Doctor Illuminatus, by Martin Booth.

Iain Lawrence's High Sea's trilogy: The Wreckers, The Smugglers, and The Buccaneers. With most trilogies, the first one is the best, and it deteriorates from there. This one is just the opposite. The first one really isn't very good, in my opinion, but the last one is wonderful, with the added bonus of inspiring me to do some research on a book I'm writing.

The Astonishing Stereoscope by Jane Langton. It would have been good if it weren't so religious.

Wizards at War by Diane Duane.

Piratica II: Return to Parrot Island by Tanith Lee. The first half was blah, but it picked up. Not as good as the first one though.

There was more, but I can't remember what they were, so this will have to suffice for now.

Still reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, and Outlander.

Fruits Basket Vols. 9-13 by Natsuki Takaya: This manga has gotten to be a lot more angsty and introspective rather than cute, but I still love it.

Silver's Edge and Silver's Bane by Anne Kelleher: Bad writing, too many characters, a magic system that offended my feminist sensibilities, graphic and disgusting scenes, and the story dragged so it could fill out two books. I liked a few characters though, so I kept reading for them.

Bleach Vols. 1 and 2 by Tite Kubo: I started watching the anime in the fall and I love it, so I had to read the manga too and I love that as well.

Alpha by Catherine Asaro: This is book four of her AI series and these just don't impress me as much as her Skolian series. The main story in this book annoyed me a bit and my favorite parts of the book were when the hero babysat his granddaughter.

Fullmetal Alchemist Vol. 10 by Hiromu Arakawa: This manga is so intense now- and so different from the anime, so I'm really enjoying the fresh story.

Some gooders I read in December were:

ME-autobiography of Katherine Hepburn
    Edison and the Electric Chair
    Organizing your Craft Room
    A Short History of Nearly Everything
    The Book of Lists (Canadian version)
    Life of Pi
    The entire collection of Beatrix Potter books

I'm still in the middle of a bunch of books I was reading in December, but I was able to finish On Beauty by Zadie Smith, The Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand, and Thinking Points: A Progressive's Handbook: Communicating Our American Values and Vision by George Lakoff and the Rockridge Institute

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads