Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books in 2006?

Books in 2006?

This year I didn't read as many books or listen to as many audiobooks as last year, but I read a lot more comics. There is probably some relationship to how busy I am in school. (I don't count school books because I don't read them the same way I do pleasure books).

COUNT:
    Books: 29
    Audiobooks: 19
    Graphic Novels/Trade Paperbacks: 61
    Male: 34
    Female: 9
    TOTAL: 109

2006 Book Reviews

Best Non-Fiction:
    • * Death Without Weeping: The Violence of Everyday Life in Brazil by Nancy Scheper-Hughes – Heartbreaking and groundbreaking.
      * The Weathermakers: How Man is Changing the Climate and What it Means for Life on Earth by Tim Flannery – The most entertaining and informative book on global warming that I've encountered.
      * Crossing the Tracks for Love: What to Do When You and Your Partner Grew Up in Different Worlds by Ruby K. Payne – A really enlightening look at how class affects our relationships.
      * Jarhead: A Marine's Chronicle of the Gulf War and Other Battles by Anthony Swofford - A surprisingly self-reflective and self-aware look at military life.
      * The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion - A very touching reflection on grief.
    Best Fiction:
    • * A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami – My first Murakami book and I'm hooked.
      * Ghostwritten by David Mitchell – Adventurous and provocative.
      * Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro - A incredibly intimate "science fiction" book.
      * A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin - The Red Wedding, nuff' said.
    Best Graphic Novel/Trade Paperback:
    • * Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel – Very touching and intelligent.
      * The Walking Dead – Zombies, need I say more?
      * Ex Machina by Brian K. Vaughn– Another great Vaughn title.
      * Fables by Bill Willingham – It grew on me and "March of the Wooden Soldiers" was practically perfect.
      * DMZ Vol. 1: On the Ground by Brian Wood (author) and Riccardo Burchielli (Illustrator) – Brian Wood is consistently unique and entertaining.
    Honorable Mention:
    • * The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks - Hilarious.
      * The Men Who Stare at Goats by Jon Ronson - Hilarious and frightening.
      * Braving Home: Dispatches from the Underwater Town, the Lava-Side Inn, and Other Extreme Locales by Jake Halpern - An entertaining approach to how we define home.
    Worst Non-Fiction:
    • * Rx for Survival: Why We Must Rise to the Global Health Challenge by Philip Hilts – A lost opportunity.
      * This Cold Heaven: Seven Seasons in Greenland by Gretel Ehrlich – Disappointing, schizophrenic, and pretentious.
      * Bait and Switch: The (Futile) Pursuit of the American Dream by Barbara Ehrenreich – Deeply flawed and lacking the humor and empathy that made "Nickel and Dimed" so good.
      * Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner – They undermined their own argument and contradicted themselves repeatedly.
      * See No Evil: The True Story of a Ground Soldier in the CIA's War on Terrorism by Robert Baer – The reminiscences of an ex CIA agent that came off as just bitter rather than informative.
    Worst Fiction:
    • * Bad Twin by "Gary Troup" – Awful and it didn't even have any useful information related to "LOST."
      * A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemmingway – Predictable, chauvinistic, and a reminder of why I don't like Hemmingway.
      * The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova – Worst. Book. Ever.
      * The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini – Horribly repetitive and predictable. How could I feel sorry for such a ridiculous plotline?
    Worst Graphic Novel/Trade Paperback:
    • * Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy Volume 1: Homeland by R. A. Salvatore, Andrew Daab, and Tim Seeley – Ruined a perfectly good story.
      * Serenity: Those Left Behind by Joss Whedon, Brett Matthews, and Will Conrad – Pointless.

2. # ADS

The first 100 books I read in 2006 (with some comments)

I read four more after that; see the December 06 thread.

http://quaisiors-books.greatestjournal.com/23628.html That's a list of all of the books I read in 2006 and if you click the reads tag, then you will get all of my posts with thoughts on what I read.

My favorite books I read last year were The Sharing Knife: Beguilement by Lois McMaster Bujold and Matriarch by Karen Traviss. I also loved the manga I read last year: Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, and Fruits Basket. I only absolutely hated two books I read (Tainted Trail by Wen Spencer and Shattered Dance by Caitlin Brennan), but there were a lot more that I didn't like very much.

Although I have two favourite books, I really recommed hairstyles of the damned.

Oh help. I don't thinlk I can actually make any lists, since I can't even remember what I read two months ago, but here's a few reccomendations.
    The Lives of Christoper Chant by Diana Wynne Jones. Really, really good. I think I've mentioned this before.
    Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clark. Ditto.
    I'm about to get carried away here, so I'll let that suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by little_farm_girl
    i am so intimidated by this book and i don't know why... is it terribly dense? it took my partner MONTHS to plug through it, leaving me very uninspired to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by elixirbeth
    i am so intimidated by this book and i don't know why... is it terribly dense? it took my partner MONTHS to plug through it, leaving me very uninspired to pick it up.
    I've just started this one. It's my bathroom book, so I'm a captive audience (LOL). So far (only 3-4 pages, mind you), it hasn't grabbed me. We'll see. I want to read it, and I want to like it - but that just might not happen.

It takes a little while to get into it, but it's really good. I think when I first read it, I found the first chapter or two kind of boring, but I don't really remember.
    It's not particularly dense plot-wise but it has small print and a lot of footnotes and a lot of dates, and bibliography (in the footnotes) so I suppose it could be considered dense in that respect.
    But really it's a wonderful book and I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by mbar03
    I've just started this one. It's my bathroom book, so I'm a captive audience (LOL). So far (only 3-4 pages, mind you), it hasn't grabbed me. We'll see. I want to read it, and I want to like it - but that just might not happen.
    I checked it out from the library last month and made it through the first chapter and just could NOT get into it so I returned it without reading it. I really did want to like it. I had heard so many great things about it, but it just didn't do it for me. Maybe as an audiobook I'd enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by KittenHasAWhip
    Quote Originally Posted by mbar03
    I checked it out from the library last month and made it through the first chapter and just could NOT get into it so I returned it without reading it. I really did want to like it. I had heard so many great things about it, but it just didn't do it for me. Maybe as an audiobook I'd enjoy it?
    I borrowed it from work when it first came out, and I couldn't get into it. I got a stripped copy from work a couple of days ago, and maybe I'll read it, but I remember all those damn footnotes in the book! made me go crazy during the first crack. I was thinking about the audio format too...perhaps it'll be more enjoyable that way?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads