Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January 2007

January 2007

I already finished my first book of the year- Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. It's about the disastrous 1996 climbing season on Mt. Everest that left 12 people dead, 11 of them within two days. Scary, exciting, and a real adventure- think of it as the ultimate bad extreme vacation.

2. # ADS

I just finished The Butlerian Jihad (the "new" dune series by Frank Herbert's Son), and I started Baudolino by Umberto Eco...

I just finished my first book of 2007: Paul Cartledge's "Thermopylae." No new ground covered, but a good, readable overview. I'm now working on Simon Schama's "Rough Crossings." Soon my work life will get seriously hectic, so I won't be reading as much until the summer--it's a function of working for a part-time Legislature.

I am thouroughly enjoying a triple novelette by Colette, with "Gigi," "Julie de Carneilhan" and "Chance Acquaintances." I've gotten through the first two, and will start the third later tonight.

I'm reading "Gateway to Heaven" by Sheldon VanAuken. It's a novel, and I didn't realize it till I started reading because all of Vanauken's other books are autobiographical. If you've never heard of him or read "Severe Mercy," I'd recommend it above almost anything else. Everyone should have to read this book.

My first book of the year...
    Would that be read completely in 2007, or finished in 2007? I'm going to say it's the former, which would mean I'm not done with it yet,
    Kidnapped! by Robert Louis Stevenson. It makes more sense the second time 'round. It's really good!

My first book of the year, started and completed in 2007 was Marjorie Morningstar.
    It was interesting how much has changed and how much has not. It was a coming of age story about a girl , written in the 1950s, about a girl growing up in the 1930s, read by me in 2007 haha

my first book of the year is In the Wake of the Plague. about the black death in the 14th century england and how it shaped the society. very interesting. im on to some lighter reading now, The IdiotGirls' Action Adventure club.

It's summer holidays here, so I've read four books so far this month. Two chick-lit beach reads: Nice Girls Do by Sarah Duncan and Summer At Mount Hope by Rosalie Ham; a collection of newspaper columns by Jeremy Clarkson, the presenter of Top Gear: The World According to Clarkson Vol. 2: And Another Thing...; and a biography of Australian artist Margaret Olley: Far From a Still Life by Meg Stewart.

I'm halfway through "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" by Agatha Christie. I can't believe it's taken me so long to discover Dame Agatha, but I'm very happy that I did!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads