Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

Has anybody else read Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell?

My boss gave everyone a copy for Christmas. (I'm still waiting on that promised Christmas bonus tho :P) The book espouses a lot of things that many people already know, namely, trust your instinct. However, it does point out both the benefits and negative consequences of simply going with your gut and how we can sometimes fool ourselves. I think it's an interesting (and very quick) read but I'm unsure of how useful the information presented really is. It says, okay, we should listen to our intuition, but, be careful.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

2. # ADS

I read it last year and liked it, but I was a little disappointed that it was mostly just a collection of anecdotes ("here's an example of something that happened and how/why"). I would have liked more firm conclusions drawn and instructions on how to put those ideas into practice. Same with his other book, The Tipping Point.

I'm trying to remember any specific examples of anything I read in either of those books, and I just can't. I do remember that I enjoyed reading them, though, so I'd recommend them - just don't look to them for much advice you can use on your own.

Thanks for your thoughts, Katrin. I also have The Tipping Point in my to-be-read pile. I bought it last year and never got around to it, but it's still there. Is it as quick of a read as Blink?

i've read both blink and the tipping point. ttp is also a quick read and pretty fascinating. a good third in this is freakonomics. the anecdote of a tipping point that sticks out the most to me is the story of sesame street and blue's clues. it gives a lot of insight into how small children learn.

i love malcolm gladwell. he asks interesting questions and is as objective about the answers as anyone can be. did you know he has a blog?

http://gladwell.typepad.com/

Yeah, I didn't think Blink was as good as The Tipping Point, but it was still good.

Remove Ads

Ads