Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What did you read in January 2007?

COMICS:
    • Fables, Volume 5: The Mean Seasons by Bill Willingham - Continues to be a great series, interesting where they are taking the new administration...

Teenagers from Mars by Rick Spears and Rob G. - Walked a really fun line, in which you weren't sure which direction it was going to take you (realism or horror).

BOOKS:
    • Hot and Bothered: Women, Medicine, and Menopause in Modern America by Judith A. Houck - I'm biased on this one, one of my advisors wrote it :)

House Thinking: A Room-by-Room Look at How We Live by Winifred Gallagher - I tried to not be too critical of the book because I love the *idea* of it, but it needed a better copyeditor and some of her claims are downright false. Overall, I'm really glad I read it and I got lots of fun ideas. I think her chapters on the entryway, kitchen and "great room" were the best. The chapter on neighborhoods, the worst.

How Mumbo-jumbo Conquered The World: A Short History of Modern Delusions by Francis Wheen - Not what I expected or hoped for and really pretentious, pointless, and snide - something from the Richard Dawkins school of "argument." The "how" boils down to "people are stupid" and there is no critical engagement with his opponents. He actually falls into the same trap he sets others up with - conspiracy theories. I'm sorry - the reason the alternative therapies are covered under health insurance is not because Mrs. Blair uses them. You're entirely missing the point if you think this. His chapter on Post-Modernism was particularly bad, in that it could have made a good point but completely missed the boat and revealed the author's prejudices. Yeah - "people are stupid?" Not a good thesis statement.

Pox Americana: The Great Smallpox Epidemic of 1775-82 by Elizabeth Anne Fenn - Really a lovely book that uses scarce sources and engages the reader in both human suffering and investigative history. From the Revolutionary War to Spanish Missions to Fur Traders, Fenn traces how it was Smallpox, not the Revolutionary War that defined this generation.

AUDIOBOOKS:
    • Second Glance by Jodi Picoult - Bad romance, pretty good mystery - a good audiobook, but I think I'll pass on her other stuff.

2. # ADS

Mr Midshipman Hornblower and Leuitanant Hornblower by C. S. Forester.

Larklight, or, The Revenge of the White Spiders!, or, To Saturn's Rings and Back!, A rousing tale of dauntless pluck in the farthest reaches of space. It was actually quite funny, and I would read a sequel, but it is by no means part of my "core library."

Kidnapped! by Robert Louis Stevenson. It made a lot more sense this time, than the first time I read it, and I like it a lot.

Bottles of Eight and Peices of Rum by Michele Torrey. A really quick read, and pretty good.

By These Ten Bones by Clare B. Dunkle. Its much shorter than it seems, and I wish it could have gone on a little longer.

The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke. After I saw the movie, I had to read this book again, and though I don't think it'll make my list of favorites, it's defenitely on the list of books I like.

The Witch of Clatteringshaws by Joan Aiken. I'm glad that she's brought back Dido, as well as some more light-hearted adventure, but the stories will never be quite the same.

Captain Kidd's cat; being the true and dolorous chronicle of Wm Kidd, gent & merchant of New York, late captain of the Adventure Galley; of the vicissitudes attending his unfortunate cruise in eastern waters, of his incarceration in Newgate Prison, of his unjust trial and execution, as narrated by his faithful cat, McDermot, who ought to know by Robert Lawson. This gave me quite a bias toward Captain Kidd, but i did get over it.

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. I LOVE this book. I am completely obsessed.

Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer.

And a few Sherlock Holmes stories:
    The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton
    The Adventure of the Six Napoleons
    The Adventure of the Golden Pince-Nez
    The Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter
    The Adventure of the Abbey Grange

Oh, did they finally make The Thief Lord into a movie? I remember enjoying the book.

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    Oh, did they finally make The Thief Lord into a movie? I remember enjoying the book.
    Yeah, it's a pretty good movie, too.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, again.
    Rainbow Valley by Lucy Maud Montgomery
    Trout Fishing in America by Richard Brautigan (I needed a break from Victorian and almost-Victorian lit.)

I still haven't picked a book for February yet. I think I might read Vanity Fair, but I have a bunch of junk to read for school now.

i liked Trout Fishing in America, but i liked The Hawkline Monster better. it's actually one of my favorite books, now that i think about it.

i read The God Delusion and Intelligent Thought and re-read The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes if that counts.

i really like Richard Dawkins because he is one of the few people out there who doesn't treat the topic of religion like it deserves special respect. but i'm biased, because i also think religion is pap at best and profoundly dangerous at worst. i'm just a little better at being polite about it that he is. a little.

i also read a few chapters of the most boring statistics book in the world.

my books in Jan.

Marjorie Morningstar- Herman Wouk

Age of Innocence- Edith Wharton

The Commitments- Roddy Doyle

Janet Evonovich- High Five, Four to Score, Three to get Deadly

Erma Bombeck- All I know about animal behavior I learned in Loehmannís dressing room

Amanda Quick- Second Sight

Laurell K Hamilton- Mistralís Kiss

JD Robb- Born In Death

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    i really like Richard Dawkins because he is one of the few people out there who doesn't treat the topic of religion like it deserves special respect. but i'm biased, because i also think religion is pap at best and profoundly dangerous at worst. i'm just a little better at being polite about it that he is. a little.
    I would probably agree with Dawkins (and yourself) about religion, but I don't care for his style of argument (or lack thereof - not really engaging with your opponent and just calling them stupid) - just as I don't enjoy a religious text that just calls atheists sinners and doesn't actually attempt to understand why someone thinks the way they do.

that's cool. i guess i just don't agree with you, since i find that there is a lot of information about why he doesn't agree with various groups or people in his books.

I only read three books in all of January, which is sad considering that half of it was during winter break.

The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
    The World to Come (Dara Horn)
    V for Vendetta (Allan Moore/David Lloyd)

The first two were fiction and quite lovely and sad (the former had me crying by the third page or so) and the second was a graphic novel, the second one I've ever read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads