The Historian (Elizabeth Kostova)

Has anyone read this? I just finished it and I really loved it! There were definitely a few points when I was holding my breath to see what was coming next or literally jumped because something had startled me. I did find the end to be a little rushed and I there were a few things I wish had been more explicitly resolved, but overall I loved this book and I'd probably read it again and give it as a gift to my bookworm friends.

2. # ADS

Oh god - I hated that book. Sorry.

I read it when it first came out and I really enjoyed it.

I was excited to read the book b/c of all the hoopla when it came out, but found it to be a pretty disappointing read.

I started listening to a book on tape of it over the summer, then realized the book on tape was abridged--also it had this ridiculous music and voices and stuff. Very dramatic. So I put the book on my To Read list. Thanks for reminding me of this! What I listened to I thought was great.

I was given it for Christmas, and I thought it looked interesting. I didn't realize there was hoopla about it at any point. It's on my to read list as well, but I don't read so often as I used to (for fun, anyway).

I liked it pretty well. I got it because it was supposed to be similar to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell which is a fabulous book. I didn''t think The Historian was as good as that book, but it was still a good read. My husband read it right after he got back from deployment. He seemed to like it, didn''t make any negative comments, and read it late into the night. All good signs from him.

If you have not read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, I highly recommend it. The authors first name is Suzanna. I can''t think of her last name and all of our books are still in boxes from moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Roenke
    If you have not read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, I highly recommend it. The authors first name is Suzanna. I can''t think of her last name and all of our books are still in boxes from moving.
    Her last name is Clarke. And she has a new book of short stories "The ladies of Grace Adieu"

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Roenke
    I liked it pretty well. I got it because it was supposed to be similar to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell which is a fabulous book.
    I'm still reading this book, still trying to get into it. It is slowly getting a little better, but not sure it's going to be worth it.

Oh I'm not even a third of the way through The historian and I am forcing myself to read it.. it feels so slow... does it pick up and get interesting anytime soon...
    THe fact that I'm finding both the daughter and father very flat and dull characters really isn't helping!

Remove Ads

Ads