Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Zombie Survival Guide

I'm a pretty big horror buff, so I recently read The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. I was thinking it would be more comedic, but it was written in a fairly serious manner. I enjoyed it all the same, and now feel fully prepared should the living dead ever decide to roam the earth.

Anybody else read it?

2. # ADS

Boffo for Zombies, here. Bought "Survival Guide" when it first came out. Enjoy the straight laced, dead pan approach to essentially silly material. To fully appreciate Zombies, must either adopt dour affect (Survival Guide) or relish the absurdity ( Shaun of the Dead). I vacillate between the two.

I love Shaun of the Dead. I saw it in the theater 3 times (I guess I had an extreme excess of money at that time) and bought it as soon as it came out on DVD.

I also thought it was surprisingly good. I have a running joke with my friends that I am working on my zombie apocalypse skills (really just life goals but I always frame them as something that would be handy in a zombie apocalypse), like learning how to swim, drive stick shift, and self-defense :)

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    I also thought it was surprisingly good. I have a running joke with my friends that I am working on my zombie apocalypse skills (really just life goals but I always frame them as something that would be handy in a zombie apocalypse), like learning how to swim, drive stick shift, and self-defense :)
    That's funny because my friend is always insisting that I have to learn to drive stick shift and his main reasoning is what if I get stuck in a horror movie type situation? I would be screwed, that's what. I still haven't taken the time to learn though.

Hmmmm... I drive stick shift/manual. Swim..can wield a pretty mean carving knife( Henckles of course!)..and learning Boy Scout knots.

I think we need to write a kick ass chick vs. zombie grindhouse, using all our mad skills.

I have two copies, we thought we lost our copy when we moved, but we found it again after buying a new one. I had this paralyzing fear of zombies so hubby bought it for me. I actually feel a lot better and I don't have nightmares after watching zombie movies (I could never watch them before I read the book!). My husband is in the Army, so we have our "Zombie Survival Kit" already set up (It's really just his army stuff, but if we ever get invaded by the undead we're well equipped). Like some other posters, I make a point of learning new skills (like spinning my dog's fur into yarn) under the guise of Zombie Preparedness. Now I just need to build my Zombie-Proof Fortress. :-)

-Corinne
    I know the undead aren't real, honest!

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantesjustice
    but if we ever get invaded by the undead we're well equipped).
    I'm thinking the Zombies might prefer the Midwest Great Lakes Post Industrial Rust Belt. High humidity all year 'round. Awesome hulking industrial brown land behemoths, slowly decomposing to use as lairs...

More than our share of bogs, swamps, canals, and a Burning River.

Our tourism could use a boost. World of Rubber Museum isn't packing them in, like it used to. We need the Undead.

Instead of "Ohio: The Heart of it All", we could be "Ohio: Eat Your Heart Out". Literally.

Bessiemae, Queen of the Undead.

[/u]

Came across these book reviews and thought of this thread:
    http://www.reason.com/news/show/118315.html (reviews Pretend Were Dead: Capitalist Monsters in American Pop Culture, by Annalee Newitz;
    Book of the Dead: The Complete History of Zombie Cinema, by Jamie Russell; and The Dominion of the Dead, by Robert Pogue Harrison)

I subscribe to Reason and read that article. The print version is a bit different, somehow funnier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads