Why is it with some books.....?

Why is that with some books although they are really good,it takes ages to finish them?
    i get so annoyed with myself! I started reading The Island by Victoria Hislop towards the end of last summer and i still haven't finished it! It's really good too. Other books that i suppose are a bit lighter, some chic lit, Joanna Trollope,Katie Fyyord that kind of stuff i can read in a few days.
    I have seen loads of books i want to buy as you can buy a paperback for the price of a magazine these days.I won't allow myself to until i have finished The Island!

2. # ADS

I know what you mean! I love Barbara Kingsolver, but I have been reading The Poisonwood Bible for months! I really don't know if I'll ever finish at this point. Sometimes I think it's a subconcious effort to make them last longer because I don't want them to end.

If it's a beautifully written book it takes me longer because I savor the writing, rereading passages because they are so well done (ie: Peter Hoeg's Smilla's Sense of Snow. Some books are also just so innovative that it's hard to understand what is going on and it takes more time to read them because you are spending a lot of time thinking (ie: David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas)

Good points

Yes very good points. Because the chick lit is just really easy reading but great fun and lifts my spirits - the deeper books to require more thought and effort. Any of you into writing? Written books or wanting to? I have also wanted to be part of a reading group,could be fun if i have the time!

I am not really a book reader i have tried just cant seem to get my head into them!

I know that I purposely read American Gods slow, because I didn't want it to end. But I agree, some books just take more thought to read them.

Quote Originally Posted by mbar03
    I know that I purposely read American Gods slow, because I didn't want it to end.
    Me, too. I read James Blaylock's novels slowly, too, for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie MacDonald
    I love Barbara Kingsolver, but I have been reading The Poisonwood Bible for months!
    I had the same experience with The Prodigal Summer! I had to keep returning it to the library and checking it out again a few months later, so that really prolonged the process.

I think it is that some books just require more thought/energy to read. Like George Eliot. I love her books, but they are so dense.

With such books, does anyone else (the opposite of trying to keep a book from ending) ever rush the last hundred pages of a long book after they've been reading it for six months? Many books, I'll read them sloooooowly trying to savor them, and suddenly, I change courses and just want be done.

I absolutely do that (and am doing it right now). Also I usually end up reading 3 different books at the same time too which I'm sure doesn't help.

I have the exact opposite problem. I blow my mad money on books (craft supplies get a separate mad money allotment *grins*) and the moment I have them in my hands I read them. I haven't taken longer than a day or two to finish a book in ages, and then I am pretty much out of reading material until next payday! It's not that I'm incapable of savoring a good book, but most of the ones I pick up lately I can't put back down. Maybe I'm experiencing mal-lit-trition. Is there a supplement for that? ;-)
    Corinne
    Who only recently found the library in her new city. Joy!

Remove Ads

Ads