Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What did you read in April 2007?

Comics:
    • 100 Bullets (Volume 2): Split Second Chance by Brian Azzarello, Eduardo Risso, Grant Goleash, and Clem Robins - I'm really starting to like this series and these new characters are really interesting.

Non-Fiction:
    • The Call of the Weird: Travels in American Subcultures by Louis Theroux - Pretty fun, but I felt like this must translate better on his television show.

Modest Mouse: A Pretty Good Read by Alan Goldsher - Awful. Oh my god. It was passive-aggressive (the group refused to be interviewed by him and he constantly makes snide asides in the text about it - like if I got this wrong it's their fault), poorly written (what the hell does jazz have to do the band?), and poorly researched (just because they didn't give interviews doesn't mean you can't get information!).

Listen to Me Good: The Life Story of an Alabama Midwife by Margaret Charles Smith and Linda Janet Holmes - A great read and one I think I'll use in the future for teaching undergraduates because it's so accessible.

Audio:
    • A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 13: The End by Lemony Snicket - A fitting end, I'm sorta glad it's over.

The Hot Zone: A Terrifying True Story by Richard Preston - Pretty good, but perhaps it would have been better as an article.

2. # ADS

The Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan, very interesting, I learned a lot

The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald, it was better than I expected, very sad though

The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson, very funny and easy to read like all of his books

It was a slow month for me!

I haven't finished it yet, but currently reading Stiff.
    It is great, one of the first books I have started lately that I do not put down after a few pages.

Stiff by Mary Roach: Funny and interesting. This is one gal who'll be donating her body to science.

Memoirs of an Ex-Prom Queen by Alix Kates Shulman: Pretty good. Glad I read it.

Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut: RIP Kurt! Beautiful, as is all your work.

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman: Okay, but Klosterman came off as kind of a mega-jerk.

unfortunately, i don't get much reading done outside of e-mails and textbooks. but this is finals week for me, and i've been slogging through (15 minutes here and there) go tell it on the mountain--by james baldwin. next week i intend to finish it!!!!

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray. I started it in February or March, and had to read a lot of school books in between.
    I read several articles for class, too. And I started The Travels of Sir John Mandeville, for like the fifteenth time in my life.

I read The Selfish Gene. i'm on a Dawkins kick. the only time i do personal pleasure reading is in the bathtub at night for about 15 minutes at a time, so i prefer nonfiction so i can put it down frequently and pick it up without losing track of what's going on.

Ally by Karen Traviss: This is one of my very favorite series and I can't believe there's only one book left because it seems like there's so much more that needs to be resolved. I love Traviss' characters, her aliens, and her totally unbiased way of writing.

Fortune's Fool by Mercedes Lackey: This was a big let-down after I enjoyed the first two books in the series so much. I love Lackey's older books and I wish she hadn't decided to sell out by making her books more romance-reader friendly because she seems to have thrown her feminism out the window and she writes god-awful love scenes.

Regarding the Bathrooms: A Privy to the Past by Kate Klise: This was a cute book, but the writing style nearly drove me insane because the whole story is told through letters and articles, which is extremely hard for me to concentrate on.

Fifth Quarter by Tanya Huff: I'm kicking myself for not reading Huff sooner because her books have literally everything I'm looking for in speculative fiction.

i have a new commute in my life so i listened to The Night Watch by Sarah Waters, The 13th Tale and the Romanov Prophecy.

I HATED the Romanov Prophecy

I was REALLY disappointed with the Night Watch.

These two are being donated to the library. The 13th tale I loved and I am keeping to listen to some other time.

Sybil: About a girl with more than 10 personalities/selves. Have been abused by schizophrenic mother at a young age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads