View Poll Results: Did you love or hate MIDDLESEX?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hated it

0 0%
  • Loved it

2 100.00%

Thread: Middlesex

Middlesex

What did you think of MIDDLESEX by J. Eugenides?

My book club just read it and there were many fiercely against it and many who loved the book.

What's your opinion?

2. # ADS

I loved this book. I originally borrowed it from a friend and loved it so much I went and bought my own copy. I think it was well written, and loved the fact that it delved into a piece of history that is little known here in the states (to me, anyway) It explained a lot about the hermaphroditic genepool, and the frustrations that come along with actually BEING a hermaphrodite.

I don't see what there is to be against, quite frankly. it is a rare affliction that does effect people. just because you don't hear of it often doesn't mean there is anything to be against. it's one of those things that can't be helped.

and the book is still one of my favorites, i didn't want it to end.

I'm interested in why they don't like it - is it the style, plot, or subject matter? I know that the Intersex Society of North America has some problems with it and I did find some plot twists a little over the top, but overall I really liked it.

My book club gathering is coming up this Friday so I will better understand why some people are so much against it. I heard that some said it was quite superficial as the issues of gender identity is quite quickly and happily resolved in the end.

Remove Ads

Ads