Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What did you read in May 2007?

Fiction:

* The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie - Entertaining, but I'm not about to go out and start reading the rest of her stuff.

Comics:

* The Wrong Side of the War (Star Wars: Empire, Vol. 7) by Welles Hartley, Davide Fabbri, Christian Dalla Vecchia, and David Michael Beck - After a sort of disjointed beginning, this series has really picked up and gotten interesting.

* Ex Machina (Vol. 4: March to War) by Brian K. Vaughan (Author), Tony Harris (Illustrator) - I have a feeling all you Heroes, and especially Petrelli brothers, fans would like this series.

* Fables Vol. 8: Wolves by Bill Willingham (Author), Mark Buckhingham (Illustrator), and Shawn McManus (Illustrator) - Finally, some resolutions!

* Stuck Rubber Baby by Howard Cruse - Great story, not so keen on the artwork, a little too Crumb for me (not my cup o' tea).

Non-fiction:

* The Devil in the White City by Erik Larsen - Way to make the Chicago World Fair and serial killer boring. Picked up with the detective at the end, but there are just so many other ways this story could have been told to make it more interesting.

* Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style by Tim Gunn and Kate Moloney - Super entertaining - Tim's personality really comes through, from comparing using Kierkegaard to discuss cleaning out your closet, to helping you with your netflix queue.

2. # ADS

I read two Patricia Cornwell novels (Cruel and Unusual and Postmortem). they're terrible books, but they're like watching TV in book form, so they're good for unwinding when i don't actually want to think about anything.

i also read a Straight Dope book that must have been put out in the 80's. it was funny.

from baghdad with love - a marine, the war and a dog named Lava. this was the one i tried to read like five times, couldn't get into it, then finished it in 2 days. LOVED IT!!!!

am in the middle of reading Polio, an American Story. Really good. my mom had polio when she was three and it really messed her up. interesting reading.

Quote Originally Posted by janaka
    am in the middle of reading Polio, an American Story. Really good. my mom had polio when she was three and it really messed her up. interesting reading.
    That is actually on my public health prelim list - probably the best one out there on polio, but I wish he had more on the patient perspective.

Books I read:
    Women and Money: Owning the power to control your Destiny by Suze Orman -I love Suze and her no nonsense style, and this book can earn me a hundred bucks. Fo'shizzle!

Give it Up! My Year of Learning to live Better With Less by Mary Carlomagno - I found this dissapointing. It's more personal memoir than big picture. Not what I was looking for.

Retro Housewife: A Salute to the Suburban Superwoman by Kristin Tillotson - Fun drivel with plenty of vintage images and ads.

You Can Do It! The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls by Lauren Catuzzi Grancolas -This book should be owned by everyone born bearing a uterus. I also highly recommend it to people without said organ. I've got 4 badges already, and I'm working on 2 more!

Books I didn't really *read* but used:
    The Knitting Answer Book by Margaret Radcliffe
    The Embroidery Stitch Bible by Betty Barnden

-Corinne

brdgt:

on Polio: An American Story-

it is true - not much from the patient's viewpoint, but it gives a very detailed history of FDR, the creation of the march of dimes, the rivalry between drs. salk, sabin and the other guy (can't remember his name) and the way people worked together to raise funds to find the cure/vaccine.

given that i grew up hearing all about my mother's experiences, i knew enough about her experience to not want to hear others' stories. totally horrific.

Cast in Shadow and Cast in Courtlight by Michelle Sagara: I loved the first book so much that I read the second one right away (although I have committed myself this year to finishing series I've started). I love the sarcastic heroine who is always in trouble and her various human and non-human friends. I'll be reading book three as soon as it comes out next month.

No Quarter by Tanya Huff: A satisfying conclusion to the story lines for the characters from the first three books. Because they all had decent closure, I'm not too annoyed that book four (which I will read this month) goes off on a tangent with a new character

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling: I'm re-reading these/sharing them with my husband via the audiobooks. This is my first re-read of the Harry Potter series and I'm trying to see the subtle ways they are all tied together as well as refreshing my memory before the final book comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by janaka
    ...the rivalry between drs. salk, sabin and the other guy (can't remember his name)...
    The Sabin-Salk part of the book is actually very original. Many other historians had either treated them as heroes or villains, with no shades of gray.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantesjustice
    Women and Money: Owning the power to control your Destiny by Suze Orman -I love Suze and her no nonsense style, and this book can earn me a hundred bucks. Fo'shizzle!
    While I liked some of her other books more I thought that this one would be really good for women with their own (crafty!) businesses because she focuses so much on making you realize how much you are worth so that you don't get taken advantage of.

Complications.

I'm someone who's always been interested in medical science and true life cases so this book was a great read for me. If you're one of those people that thinks 'ignorance is bliss' it will not be for you. I feel like if myself or a loved one is ever admitted to a hospital, I will know too much of what goes on behind the scenes.

It has left me wanting to read more by him. I'm interested in finding and reading some of his medical articles in The New Yorker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads