What did you read in June 2007?

Non-Fiction:

Taking on the Big Boys: Why Feminism is Good for Families, Business and the Nation by Ellen Bravo - While Bravo does resort to a "boogeyman" argument (a vague notion of who these "big boys" are) she does an excellent job showing how businesses attempt to maintain the status quo (using arguments that pit groups with common interests against each other, making outlandish claims about the possibility of enacting equitable policies, and belittling problems). She then offers evidence to the contrary with real examples, followed by solutions that have actually worked. She covers everything from sexual harassment to household chores with a great sense of humor and respect for all kinds of work.

Survival of the Sickest: A Medical Maverick Discovers Why We Need Disease by Dr. Sharon Moalem with Jonathan Prince - I liked about 50% of this book; when Moalem kept to his descriptions of diseases and how they may have developed for evolutionary purposes he is engaging and trustworthy, but he starts to speculate too widely, playing fast and loose with science and ignoring timelines and societal factors he becomes so untrustworthy that you question the other stuff. First of all, he argues for the evolutionary origin of some things that are only a few hundred years old. Then he puts forth radical theories without presenting critiques of them (such as a theory that we should let cholera run rampant so that its virulence decreases - yeah, because that worked for centuries beforehand?). He also ignored clearly relevant information, such as supporting an argument that early humans were actually aquatic by noting that women who have water births supposedly don't feel as much pain because they don't use epidurals as much as other women (totally ignoring the type of woman who is likely to choose a water birth and the choice of whether to have an epidural is not always about the amount of pain).

Comics:
    100 Bullets Vol. 3: Hang Up on the Hang Low by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso - Adding a bit more information to overarching storyline and dishing up an interesting ending. The artwork was also much better in this volume than the first two.

2. # ADS

i'll come back and add to this, because i don't remember everything.

the lovely bones by alice sebold - i've coached a cutting of this selection for forensics for a few years now, but i've never read the entire book. i took a student to nationals with this piece (she performs the 1st chapter), so decided to read the whole thing. very good.

the total money makeover by dave ramsey - yeah, we're following the dave ramsey plan. mr. smachel bought the book and i read it while in kansas. much easier to read and more engaging than financial peace.

i think that everything else i've read has been to find selections for the upcoming forensics season:

fat girls and lawn chairs by cheryl peck - funny tales about her life... the kind of thing that's inspiration through a humorous look at dealing w/ adversity.

poetry slam - pretty self-explanatory. lots of poetry written/performed by slam artists.

kinky by denise duhamel - this collection of poetry has a whole barbie theme. many of them have language that is too explicit for high school purposes, but i enjoyed reading the poems. there are some i can use for competition.

learning to swim - more poetry, all about a child's summer experience at a lakehouse. nice juxtaposition between happy summer memories and hurtful recounts of sexual abuse.

Mystic and Rider, The Thirteenth House, and Dark Moon Defender by Sharon Shinn: I rarely devour a series like this anymore. I usually have to take breaks between series books, but I loved this one so much I had to read it all right away, then I read a novella set in the same world too. I can't wait for the fourth book to come out this fall.

The Forest of App by Gloria Rand Dank: I wasn't very impressed with this, I guess I'm just too spoiled by the great YA fantasy I've read lately.

And I listened to the second and third Harry Potter books.

Keeping Faith, Jodi Picoult - Quite thought provoking. I read it in two days because I simply had to find out what was going to happen to the characters. I'm hoping to read more of her books.

The Pine Barrens by John MacPhee. That's IT. It took me all month to read ONE SHORT BOOK.
    And I read a lot of Farmland Preservation stuff and planning documents for my internship. That does not count.

Remove Ads

Ads