library volunteer!!

in a few weeks i am going to start volunteering at my local library!! i am soooo excited. i volunteered at my library in new york and i loved it, and i am hoping i will love this too....

anyone else do library volunteering? how were your experiences with it?

i decided that from now on i am going to use my library more than borders or barnes & noble.

2. # ADS

I've never done it, but I guess you'll get a lot of reading done, depending on how busy the library is

I haven't volunteered at a library either, but it sounds like a good time :)

Library volunteers are the best! I''m a librarian myself, though I''ve been working in for dot.coms or state government for the past few years. The library branch where I worked was very busy--you''ll probably not have much time to read!
    Best of luck; you''re really helping your community library by giving your time.

Jennifer

Has anyone tried to get a job as a library aid? I heard a rumor that they hire volunteers before they hire from the general public. I am not sure what to think... Working for the city seems pretty sweet and I am looking to get a 'real' job. You know: with health care.

getting hired at a library via volunteering

Yes, I know several people who were successful going this route. Indeed, because library work isn't always what people imagine it to be, volunteering would be a great way for anyone who wants to try it out.

Best of luck!

Jennifer
    http://informatician-extraordinaire.blogspot.com/

i haven't started yet, but have spoken with the coordinator of the branch that i will be at. she seems happy to have me. i will hopefully start in early to mid october, just a few hours on saturdays shelving. it is a small branch intown that i will be able to walk to.

one of my good friends is a librarian, north of atlanta. she does not hold an MLS, but she LOVES it and always has knowledge of all the good books coming out. the only drawback is that when she switched her career she took a huge paycut - and i am not so sure that getting her MLS would change that.

i took the gre, didn't do too well, but when i checked with schools i want to go to (for MLS), it wasn't even a requirement.

last night i went to speak with the library manager. i saw the back room. it is a disaster area. the library manager told me that i would be shelving.

then she informed me that there are men who spend the entire day in the library and if they see a pretty girl in the stacks they may bother her. she told me not to hesitate to get the security guard. i said
    "would it be all right if I handled it myself? I have years of practice opening my mouth to defend myself if necessary." she paused and thought about it for a moment and said, no that would be fine.

i don't know if this is such a great idea after all!!

Thank you for volunteering! As a librarian (MLS) I can tell you that most libraries really depend on their volunteers. I started out as a volunteer as several different libraries and got hooked along the way. As far as getting a library degree, you must have one to be a "librarian", otherwise you are a paraprofessional. This is a common misconception among the public. And yes, sometimes getting the degree does not guarantee a big or small pay increase, but it will usually get you alot of opportunites to go to conferences and work on amazing projects that you will not get to do a paraprofessional. You just have to decide what is more important to your personal/professional happiness. I know that almost all MLS-toteing librarians that I know would not trade their degree and its perks for anything.

My son and daughter both volunteered at the library as teenagers. All in all it was a good experience and they both enjoyed it. It was a good introduction to the working world for them.

Remove Ads

Ads