+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What do you do with your old books?

When I find my library start to bend from too many books LOL I either give them away or sell them on ebay.

2. # ADS

Even the library has a limit on what they can use. As a member of a 'friends' group, don't assume the library can use your old books. they have to get rid of their old books, too. Lots get taken to charities and prpbably tossed in the dumpster. Really old, not valuable, books can be made into items that are really crafty.

It all depends....if it is a classic such as Dickens, Trollope, Austen etc. then I keep it...I have over 300 books on my library shelf that I fully intend to read all of some day...

If it is a modern novel, I usually get it from the library and read it to avoid getting a book that I may regret spending the money on. To me, classics are timeless and to be read over and over again, so I tend to collect those.

Sometimes I find old books on the street and use them to make wallets. Childrens'' books are best because of the colorful covers.

Re: What do you do with your old books?

Quote Originally Posted by quornflour
    What do you do with your books?
    I used to swap books on PaperBackSwap but haven't listed anything on there in several months.

Books that I didn't enjoy and don't think will be by my friends' cup of tea I donate to Goodwill or the Salvation Army or whatever thrift store is closest to where I'm running my errands.

Usually I give books I enjoyed reading to my friends. I have two bookcases full of "keepers": books I've read that I can't bear to part with.

I always pass mine on to others who will read and enjoy them and only ask that they do the same once they're done with the books I give them. Our libraries here carry none of the books in the genre I read so it's nice to let others have a taste of something they may not be able to get their hands on otherwise. If I have a ton of books boxed from heavy reading I'll donate them to the Goodwill or to the battered women's shelter.

I like to give my old books to our local library - I don't think they shelve them, but they do sell donations in a bi-annual book sale. I have also in the past donated books to our middle school and high school libraries. If your local secondary schools have "SSR" periods (Silent Sustained Reading,) they usually welcome appropriate books to augment classroom holdings. I've also given books my kids have out-grown to their day cares or elementary after-school programs... that is, if I can bare to part with them.

I give them to my friends - however I have an impressive collection of books for the soul that will be passed to my children - I hope they will take care of them
    mrs_stroozi likes this.

I donate my old books to goodwill here in Washington State. It re-circulates them to the community where others can buy them at a great price and the profits go to charity

I just purchased a book from a Good Will in Texas, I think, via Amazon Marketplace. Their asking price was one cent! And the book was in great shape. We have a Good Will in town willing to take books -- I give them a few from time-to-time, and now hope they do the same. It's nice to think that books I've enjoyed can be sent Down The River to another appreciative soul while helping out a good cause.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Ads