Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What did you read in August 2007?

Audio:
    • The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance by Laurie Garrett - A massive book that took me many months to finish listening to, but really excellent. Probably the best popular book out there on infectious disease, covering everything from the "microbe hunters" to food security.

Fiction:
    • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling - Reread.
      Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling - Reread.
      Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling - Reread.
      Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling - Very satisfying.
      No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy - I read this in anticipation of the Cohen Brothers' adaption coming out this fall and not only enjoyed the book, but also look forward to the film. It's the sort of book that seems like it will translate well to film and the trailer makes it seem like they were very faithful. McCarthy is typically violent, sparse, and ambivalent - but this time it is a modern setting.

Non-Fiction:
    • Perfect Daughters by Robert J. Ackerman - Part of the "Adult Children of Alcoholics" movement. Not mind-blowing or anything but I did recognize myself and I liked that it emphasized that the traits of "adult children" can just as easily be assets, not obstacles.

Comics:
    • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Volume one: Commencement) by John Jackson Miller, Brian Ching, Travel Foreman, and Michael Atiyeh - An interesting new series. I like the setting and plot - just enough like the time and place of the films to keep things interesting, but different enough that there is room to be creative.

For School:
    • Ellen Leopold, A Darker Ribbon: Breast Cancer, Women, and their Doctors in the Twentieth Century
      Kirsten Gardner, Early Detection: Women, Cancer, & Awareness Campaigns in the Twentieth-Century United States
      Barron Lerner, The Breast Cancer Wars: Hope, Fear, and the Pursuit of a Cure in Twentieth-Century America
      R. Marie Griffith, Born Again Bodies: Flesh and Spirit in American Christianity
      Elizabeth Haiken, Venus Envy: A History of Cosmetic Surgery
      Joan Jacobs Brumberg, Fasting Girls: The Emergence of Anorexia Nervosa as a Modern Disease
      Susan Cahn, Coming on Strong: Gender and Sexuality in Twentieth-Century Women’s Sport
      Margaret Lowe, Looking Good: College Women and Body Image, 1875-1930
      Martha Verbrugge, Able-Bodied Womanhood: Personal Health and Social Change in Nineteenth-Century Boston
      Elaine Tyler May, Barren in the Promised Land: Childless Americans and the Pursuit of Happiness
      Naomi Pfeffer, The Stork and the Syringe: A Political History of Reproductive Medicine
      Margaret Marsh and Wanda Ronner, The Empty Cradle: Infertility in America from Colonial Times to the Present

2. # ADS

Just off the top of my head, as I'm too tired to look it up right now:
    The Dark is Rising books by Susan Cooper. I freaked out a little when I heard they are making movie(s) out of them, so I had to borrow and re-read all the five books as I haven't read them since I was little.

(What's up with the "let's make movies out of children's fantasy books" trend, anyway? Can't it be over soon?)

I also read some college textbooks to prepare for fall, but I'll have to look up the titles.

i read a book about the Shackleton Antarctic expedition called Endurance. it was very good, and extra intense because it's a true story. it's based on the journals and accounts of expedition members, but it looked more readable than Shackleton's own book, which is *very* long.

i also reread Nick Cave's novel And the Ass Saw the Angel which is very odd and disturbing and very good. kind of like Nick Cave.

i read most of the articles in the August New Yorkers, and parts of some other books, and I read Flatland again but i can't remember if that was July or August. i don't tend to read books for school, just articles, and i'll spare you that list!

Fullmetal Alchemist Vol. 12 by Hiromu Arakawa: Fun as always.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling: Still listening to these as audio books and they take forever.

Cast in Secret by Michelle Sagara: It probably wasn't a good idea to read this whole series in two months because author quirks started getting on my nerves. Thankfully, I have a whole year or more until the next one comes out.

Angel-Seeker by Sharon Shinn: I liked the other books in this series better, but this was still a good read. This was a bit more grim and depressing than most of her other books.

Babylon 5 comics and the first volume of Neil Gaimin's Sandman: I must read more of these now!

And I attempted to read a few others but they were so bad that I couldn't finish them, so they took up at least a week or two of my time. Grrr.

Finished from July:
    The Memory Keeper's Daughter. by Kim Edwards--I loved her writing style. I can see this being made into a movie.

Read:
    Come back. by Claire and Mia Fontaine. Great mother-daughter memoir. Daughter dealt with drug addiction at a very young age. Discusses mother and daughter's counseling and rehab experiences.

I only really had time to read one book-

Out Of The Silent Planet, C.S. Lewis: This was a pretty quick read and fairly simple story--guy gets kidnapped and taken to Mars, he escapes and befriends the Martians, his captors return and reveal themselves to be morons, everyone goes back home. It kind of feels like it's supposed to be more of an introduction to the other "Space" books than a freestanding story. I'm working on the next one in the series right now.

I guess I didn't notice much of trend with turning childrens' fantasy into movies. There are worse places to look for inspiration, I think (like yet another B-list comic book--Daredevil, anyone?)

on both sides of the wall by vladka meed - excellent holocaust memoir about a jewish woman having 'aryan' features and becoming active in the underground movement, hiding jews and helping with arming the warsaw ghetto at the time of the uprising. absolutely inspiring.

The Odessa File by Frederick Forsyth - this is a re-read, great suspense novel about the SS men who got away, and the organization known as 'ODESSA' that was established to assist them in their new lives.

Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs - Short hilarious stories from his life.

I read "EAT, PRAY, LOVE" by Elizabeth Gilbert.

I LOVED IT! It's my top book for 2007 (unless I read something really f*cking amazing between now and December).

I have been reading books by Kathy Reichs (Monday Mourning, Fatal Voyage, Grave Secrets, etc etc). These are the books that inspired the TV show Bones. They are very well written and I can't seem to put them down during the last 100 pages or so.

lots of dumb magazines (i work at an ad agency and the mailroom guy is my friend and drops off extras)

parts of "a light at the edge of the world" by wade davis

just finished "a wrinkle in time" by madeline l'engle after not having read it since i was 8. the magic is still there :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads