What did you read in September 2007?

Comics:
    Runaways, Vol. 1 by Brian K Vaughan (Author), Adrian Alphona (Illustrator), and Takeshi Miyazawa (Illustrator)

Y: The Last Man (Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons) by Brian K. Vaughan (Author) and Pia Guerra (Illustrator)

Y: The Last Man (Vol. 9: Motherland) by Brian K. Vaughan (Author) and Pia Guerra (Illustrator)

The Walking Dead, Vol. 6: This Sorrowful Life by Robert Kirkman (Author), Charlie Adlard (Illustrator), Cliff Rathburn (Illustrator)

Non-Fiction:
    The Feminine Mistake: Are We Giving Up too Much? by Leslie Bennetts

Pretend We're Dead: Capitalist Monsters in American Pop Culture by Annalee Newitz

Audio:
    The Terror: A Novel by Dan Simmons

For School:
    Clare Hanson, A Cultural History of Pregnancy: Pregnancy, Medicine and Culture, 1750-2000
    Molly Ladd-Taylor, Mother-Work: Women, Child Welfare, and the State, 1890-1930
    Judith Walzer Leavitt, Brought to Bed: Childbearing in America, 1750-1950
    Jacqueline Wolf, Donít Kill Your Baby: Public Health and the Decline of Breastfeeding in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries
    Rima Apple, Mothers and Medicine: A Social History of Infant Feeding, 1890-1950
    Janet Golden, Message in a Bottle: The Making of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
    Susan Cayleff, Wash and Be Healed: The Water-Cure Movement and Womenís Health
    Allison Hepler, Women in Labor: Mothers, Medicine, and Occupational Health in the United States, 1890-1980
    Judith Houck, Hot and Bothered: Women, Medicine, and Menopause in Modern America
    Sandra Morgen, Into Our Own Hands: The Women's Health Movement in the United States, 1969-1990
    Dianne Glave and Mark Stoll, editors, To Love the Wind and the Rain: African Americans and Environmental History
    Theodore Steinberg, Down to Earth: Natureís Role in American History
    Donald Worster, The Ends of the Earth: Perspectives on modern Environmental History
    William Cronon, editor, Uncommon Ground: Toward Reinventing Nature
    Virginia Anderson, Creatures of Empire: How Domestic Animals Transformed Early America
    Joyce Chaplin, Subject Matter: Technology, the Body, and Science on the Anglo-American Frontier, 1500-1676
    Alfred Crosby, The Columbian Exchange: Biological and Cultural Consequences of 1492
    Carolyn Merchant, Ecological Revolutions: Nature, Gender, and Science in New England

2. # ADS

manga:
    Love Hina Vol. 1 by Ken Akamatsu and Video Girl Ai Vol. 1 by Masakazu Katsura: I didn't like either of these and I won't be reading this sub-genre of manga anymore.

Fruits Basket Vol. 16 by Natsuki Takaya: I got bored with the first half, but I liked the second part and I'm looking forward to finishing the series soon.

Cross Vol. 1 by Sumiko Amakawa: This wasn't what I expected and I liked it a lot better than I thought I would.

books:
    Eccentric Circles by Rebecca Lickiss: I've grown tired of the dark urban fantasy with vampires and werewolves, so I was looking forward to reading this because it's light and there's no creatures of the night in sight, but it was badly written and annoying.

Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn: One of my least favorite books by Shinn because it was a re-telling of Jane Eyre but it really didn't have anything new to say.

Books and other information sources I read in September

September was a hard book month I read
    Lincolns Avengers- very dry but let me tell you if you want some insight as to Lincolns assassination and how it is still affecting us READ this book.
    Also read a new author who does the Anita Blake vampire killer series
    Obsidian Butterfly ok but I need to read the others first. This book kind of reminded me of Authors who write extremely good books and then the public wants more more more so they quickly pen out something to satisfy the masses
    I am sure the first books in the series were probably better.

Also read: Crystal Balls and Crystal Bowls by Ted Andrews.
    Lots of information and I always like to read anything I can get on a different persons view and gathered info on this subject.
    Also read monthly magazines
    Bead & Button
    Freedom
    Mad Comic book sept. Issue
    Guns and Ammo
    Art News
    And I just started Lisey's Story by Stephen King.
    I am having a hard time getting into it but it is getting better.

i read God is not Great by Hitchens which was pretty mediocre. i think he's mechanically a skilled writer and it was interesting to get more of a historical perspective than The God Delusion offered, but he is so clearly not a scientist that the bits on science were pretty flimsy, and overall it just didn't thrill me. i liked his essays on the Vanity Fair website better. it's good to know what all the fuss is about though.

i also re-read the Bloom County "Classics of Modern Literature" collection and part of a Thich Nhat Hanh book.

and too much school stuff to mention.

Jane Eyre, all the way through for the first time (!) and I loved it.
    The Prodigal Summer, Barbara Kinsolver, it was okay
    The Poisonwood Bible, Kingsolver again, I really think that this is one of the best books I've read in a long time.! I saw the thread on this a while ago and put it on my list, and I'm sad I didn't read it before.
    Listened to Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich, it was good for the long car rides to meetings lately.
    I just started last month at my local library, so my to read list is expanding each day!

a bunch of fluffy mystery-romance books.

oedipus rex (sophocles)
    antigone (sophocles)
    the fountainhead (ayn rand)
    catcher in the rye (j.d. salinger)
    the blind assassin (margaret atwood)
    the awakening (kate chopin)
    the words to every song (liz moore)
    revolutions on canvas, vol. 2
    extremely loud and incredibly close (jonathan safran-foer)
    interpreter of maladies (jhumpa lahiri)
    wuthering heights (emily bronte)
    prayer for owen meany (john irving)
    death of a salesman (arthur miller)

and then a bunch of school stuff

Wow! You guys are great readers. I was only able to read "The Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper. I know, I know - this is a junior fiction book. But it has been on my mind for a long time to read it. Then seeing that they made a movie out of it just spurned me on. It was very good. There's just something about a good vs evil story that keeps you turing pages till the book is done and you wish there was more.

Quote Originally Posted by tryskal
    Wow! You guys are great readers. I was only able to read "The Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper. I know, I know - this is a junior fiction book. But it has been on my mind for a long time to read it. Then seeing that they made a movie out of it just spurned me on. It was very good. There's just something about a good vs evil story that keeps you turing pages till the book is done and you wish there was more.
    i love young adult (junior fiction) books! a lot of them are just great stories with children or young adults as the main characters, so that's why they are organized that way. the dark is rising was an awesome series! i think i'm going to read it again.

<u>Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil</u>, by Deborah Rodriguez

It was a great read.

I actually wrote it down this month! Hooray!

Water for Elephants -Sara Gruen (loved it)
    Free Food for Millionaires -Min Jin Lee (hated it)
    The Best American Nonrequired Reading: 2007 (liked it)
    No One Belongs Here More Than You - Miranda July (hated it)
    Three Bags Full -Leoni Swann (loved it)
    In the Woods -Tana French (loved it)
    ... And His Lovely Wife -Connie Schultz (loved it!)
    Howl's Moving Castle -Dianna Wynne Jones (re-read, still liked it)
    Microthrills -Wendy Spero (Adored It!)
    How to Survive a Horror Movie (liked it, but not enough to read again)
    Mountain Man Dance Moves: The McSweeney's Book of Lists (re-read, loved it! Again and again!)
    Ant Farm -Simon Rich (loved it)

I've been starting the new Dave Barry book over and over, but I always get distracted by something. Hmph.

Remove Ads

Ads