Books read in October 2007

Two non-fiction books for pleasure:
    • The World Without Us by Alan Weisman - I was the only person in my book club to finish this. It's a thought experiment in what would happen to the planet if humans suddenly disappeared. I would recommend it but I thought it was horribly organized and should have taken a polemical bent. For example, the different parts made no sense. He should have divided it into "if humans had never existed," "what would happen to cities," "what would happen to the country," and "what would happen to the planet." He also let the premise speak for itself instead of argue it. He could have easily argued that nature would recover so easily if we suddenly disappeared, imagine what would happen if we just tried a little? Instead he uses the tired old "overpopulation" argument that is so rife with potential abuse that I'm shocked he considered it.

I Didn't Do It for You: How the World Betrayed a Small African Nation by Michela Wrong - Uh, where the Eritreans at? This is supposed to be a book about Eritrea, a fascinating African nation, but instead it's about the British, American, Italian, and Ethiopian colonizers. There a few chapters on the resistance, but nothing that really made me feel like I know Eritrea.

and for school (don't try this at home kids):
    • Blum, Ann Shelby, Picturing Nature: American Nineteenth-Century Zoological Illustration
      Goetzmann, William, Exploration and Empire: The Explorer and the Scientist in the Winning of the American West
      Orosz, Joel, Curators and Culture: The Museum Movement in America, 1740-1870
      Pauly, Philip, Biologists and the Promise of American Life: From Meriwether Lewis to Alfred Kinsey
      Sachs, Aaron, The Humboldt Current: Nineteenth-Century Exploration and the Roots of American Environmentalism
      Slotten, Hugh Richard, Patronage, Practice, and the Culture of American Science; Alexander Dallas Bache and the US Coast Survey
      Stegner, Wallace, Beyond the Hundredth Meridian: John Wesley Powell and the Second Opening of the American West
      Welch, Margaret, The Book of Nature: Natural History in the United States 1825-1875
      Bocking, Stephen, Ecologists and Environmental Politics: A History of Contemporary Ecology
      Hagen, Joel, Entangled Bank or The Origins of Ecosystem Ecology
      Jacoby, Karl, Crimes Against Nature: Squatters, Poachers, Thieves, and the Hidden History of American Conservation
      Kingsland, Sharon, The Evolution of American Ecology, 1890-2000
      Kohler, Robert, Landscapes & Labscapes: Exploring the Lab-Field Border in Biology
      Mitman, Gregg, The State of Nature: Ecology, Community, and American Social Thought, 1900-1950
      Russell, Edmund, War and Nature: Fighting Humans and Insects with Chemicals from World War I to Silent Spring
      Smith, Michael, Pacific Visions: California Scientists and the Environment, 1850-1915
      White, Richard, The Organic Machine: The Remaking of the Columbia River

2. # ADS

WOW! Congrats on finishing all of them.

I read:

Misty of Chincotegue by Margurite Henry because I am in a reflecting mood and want to reread some to the books that I liked as a kid.

Narcissus in Chains by Laurel K. Hamilton because I am a big fan of the series. Also, I think Anita Blake (main character) is one really strong woman.

I read Le Petit Prince...aka The Little Prince, but the original in French. I'm trying to improve my French by reading. I bought myself Flaubert's Memoires d'un Fou in France, and quickly realized it was waaaaaay beyond my abilities.
    That's it. I read a very short book...130 pages or so with pictures! I've had so much random stuff to read for school, or I'll pick up a book and read five pages, and then pick up another book, that this was all I got through in a month. Pathetic!
    Books I keep picking up and switching between are Walden, Lolita, and now that someone just lent me a copy, The Magic Mountain. (I'm trying to balance out my current science-heavy semester with some literature.)[/i]

I attempted to read the first three Shomi books and Jade Tiger by Jenn Reese and ended up not liking any of them much. Then I read three books by Sharon Shinn: General Winston's Daughter, Wrapt in Crystal, and Heart of Gold, all of which I liked quite a bit. And I read The Hidden Worlds by Kristin Landon and wasn't too impressed.

I read Down Came The Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression. by Brooke Shields.

It was 'okay.' I liked her candor and honesty about the illness. I also liked how she wrote that she considers herself lucky to be able to schedule her work around childcare and that she is able to have her children with her during work unlike other working moms. I appreciated this. I cannot stand it when celebrity moms act like they're in the trenches like everyone else--puhlease.

I also started The Glass Castle. by Jeannette Walls. I'm halfway through it and just got a notice from my library that Rosie O'Donnell's Celebrity Detox is ready for me to pick up--an escape!

Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez
    Harlequin by Laurell K. Hamilton
    (Reread) Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice

I started The World Without Us by Alan Weisman because I saw it on this post. I guess I technically started it in November... oh well.

Middlesex-Jeffrey Eugenides(?)-I liked it, it was interesting how he explained not only the main character's life but the lives of those that led to it

My Own Two Feet-Beverly Cleary-Her memoirs. I saw this at the library and couldn't resist, I loved Ramona as a child!

I re-read Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. And also Love in the Time of Cholera before the movie came out. Which I shouldn't have done because the movie was no match!

Remove Ads

Ads