Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Romance Novels

Romance Novels

I am looking for suggestions/recomendations... if you have some you want to get rid of I would take them too. I am trying to understand the appeal. Please help.

2. # ADS

As much as I hate to admit this, the Nicholas Sparks books are all amazing. I can usually read them in one or two sittings because they are so addictive. My favorites are probably The Notebook and The Wedding
    tiara likes this.

are those really considerd romance novels? are they on Oprah's book list?
    I was thinking of the Fabio on the cover kind of books...

They are in the romance section of book stores... so, i would think they would be romance novels. They have a few trashy scenes per book, but nothing sex-filled like a Fabio book. I have no recommendations on that front.

Charlaine Harris writes some fantastically trashy supernatural romance novels. They all involve the heroine Sookie Stackhouse, and the first one is called "Dead Until Dark". Love 'em.

One of the perks of working at a book store is taking home the trashy romance strips... My favorites are the ones with the names like "Bedded for the Italian's Pleasure" (what on earth could that be about?) and "Bought: One Island, One Bride" (seriously? And the series is called Greek Tycoons? And someone actually wrote this?). Kasey Michaels wrote a historical series that has action-packed fighting sequences and relatively non-shallow female characters, which was a nice change from the typical "I don't trust men and I'm so unique and not slutty and oh no where did my pants go now I hate him but I secretly love him" protagonist.
    I have a stack of strips here if you want titles. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinness
    a nice change from the typical "I don't trust men and I'm so unique and not slutty and oh no where did my pants go now I hate him but I secretly love him" protagonist.

hahahaha! Dead on.

I'm another love em and hate em romance reader, mostly because I want to write a few quick and dirty ones. I like Mira books selections from used bookstores. They'll have some of the really big name writers and usually have plots that are a little more detailed. There's almost always some sex exposition, but the heroines vary widely in age and circumstance.

I'd recommend Carla Neggers for better plots and more realistic characters.

One thing I hate about most romance novels is the way the dynamic tension is protracted. I can go with the "Hate him, but he makes me tingle in my girly bits" but then you get the whole mistaken bit where she's forlorn because he doesn't love her and he's forlorn because he thinks she doesn't love him, and that vacillates for 100 pages.

Oh, and another thing is the prudish and homely protagonist who really turns out to be a sex kitten and voluptuous beauty. I think that part is supposed to appeal to Everywoman, but it gets old as a plot device.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzymahoney
    Oh, and another thing is the prudish and homely protagonist who really turns out to be a sex kitten and voluptuous beauty. I think that part is supposed to appeal to Everywoman, but it gets old as a plot device.
    YES. It's like the stereotypical sexed-up librarian character. Take off her glasses, get her out of dumpy overalls, take the paint smears off her face, and she has a perfect 24-inch waist and boobs to die for. Just get her in a cocktail dress, boys, and she's good to go.

But I still cannot bring myself to outright hate the genre. I read these books and seethe. "Come ON! He said WHAT? People actually WRITE this shit?!?" And then I dive headfirst into another one. Aw.

"Nerd in Shining Armor" by Vikki Lewis Thompson.

She's got other "Nerd" books, and the ones I've read are okay, but that's the one that's laugh out loud funny, while still being a romance.

i like romance books ,also family books i like Joan Jonker books they are great

love story

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads