Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: good reads?

Some great titles to look into when I can find the time to read again. Here are some of my favorites:

Black, White, Red (not necessarily in that order) by Ted Dekker

Anything by Arthur C. Clarke

Happy reading!

2. # ADS

Lately, being winter here still in Australia, I prefer to curl on the couch, crochet and listen to audio books. I've been downloading free audio books from this site: http://librivox.org/

They have such an amazing selection and I'm now listening to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

I don''t get alot of time to read between looking after 2 kids under 4, 2 parents with Alzheimers & a hubby who works out of town, so when I do get to read a book, it better be good. I reco "Acrylic Revolution" by Nancy Reyner. It''s AAMAZING!!!Anyone who is interested in manipulating acrylic paint and using it in another way than the more traditional way will really enjoy it. I even bought 2 copies for friends for Christmas.

More than any other book, Marian Wright Edelman's "The Measure of Our Success" inspired me, the book is part autobiography but also contains great life lessons. I remember an popular opinion poll - "You are the books you read". Rather, the way you think can be shaped by what you read.

I downloaded a free book called "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. This book is amazing. Written in 1937 (I think), it shows you how to think differently in order to get the life you want.

It goes into detail on how to avoid things that don''t serve us like procrastination etc and tells us how to really get what we want.

I have read it twice and will go going to a bookstore this weekend to see if I can get a hard copy of it. Ebooks are great but sometimes you just want to sit on your comfy sofa and read one.

I confess that I am a classic literature fanatic, so the last good read I had was Nicholas Nickleby and am currently in The Brothers Karamazov....

Gone With the Wind is one of my faves though, I have read it 12 times!

i love to read too!

mls
    Super Moderator
    Last book I read that I enjoyed was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Right now I've started the second one, but it's not holding my interest like the first one did. I'll give it a few more chapters and see what happens.

I'm reading a book by Sue Henry, called Degrees of Separation. It's about the Iditerod mushers and murder. So far, I've been spellbound. I just started it yesterday and I've read seven chapters.

My son recommended "Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter," which I just loved. In fact, when I visited DC last month for a conference I snapped a picture of Lincoln sitting in his memorial and sent it to him, captioned, "Saving America from Vampires, One Axe Swing At a Time." I gave up on "Pride & Prejudice and Zombies," however. My son is still slogging through it. He's never read the original, so I'm wondering how he's taking it.

I picked up Orson Scott Card's "Sarah," from his Women Of Genesis series, as well as his "Enchantment," a twist on Sleeping Beauty. I need some - not mind candy but mind "snacks" - to decompress from pulling a grading marathon all weekend.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads