View Poll Results: do you want avatars on the forums?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

7 24.14%
  • no

22 75.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

hey all,

when we rob, chris and i first relaunched getcrafty.com we decided not include avatars in the forums. but since we now use avatars throughout the site, would people like to use them on the boards as well?

we have the capability to use them, but have held-off in order to have a cleaner design. but we are open.

so...what do you think?

2. # ADS

While I'm amused by some avatars, I get really irritated when I have to continually see someone trying to pose in a way that suggests just how pretty/dramatic they are. Unfair, I know, and I don't dislike people who do that; just excessive vanity irritates me.

Plus, I know this is going to sound dumb, but why aren't people concerned about privacy on the internet anymore?

ETA: I realize that not everyone will put up a picture of themselves or the drawings they did of themselves holding martini glasses, but I'd like to avoid that in general.

I like that there are avatars in the blogs but not the forums. That way if people want to check you out, they can just look at your blog/see if you've posted pictures and there aren't big icons cluttering up the forum pages. Best of both worlds!

There are lots and lots of reasons why I voted no, but here are the big 2:

1) I think a site is more interesting when people have to distinguish themselves through the things they write, not their splashy avatars.

2) Most people are considerate when it comes to avatar size, but those two or three who don't care that their avatars take up half the width of the screen can make a good thread a total pain in the booty to read.

just as a point of interest: the avatar sizes are limited at 65x65 pixels, so they'll never be displayed larger than that

but yeah, many good points being brought up

Avatars can be a pain when you've got a small pipe, either from someone else hosing the network or a dialup connection. It also draws away from what the person is saying - you may judge them on their avatar instead.

Of course that could be tempered somewhat by having only three or four "official" avatars for forum use. But that sort of defeats the purpose of having an individual avatar to assert your style.

Maybe add a "blog" button to the "profile" "aim" "www" links at the bottom?

I personally find avatars and banners to be really distracting. I really like the simplicity of these boards without avatars and annoying sig line graphics.

I second the suggestion to add a "blog" link to everyone's posts. That way everyone can check you out if you want, but not at the expense of readability.

i also voted no. i find them so annoying and visually distracting. i also would much prefer to get to know someone through their writing then splashy avatars.

I commented in the blogs that I really like the 65x65 limit of avatars, but I like that they're just in the blogs.

I like that this forum is clean, crisp and free of large images that are too eye-catching for work.

I'm a bit picky when it comes internet surfing, like another forum in which the screen width gets messed up with someone posts a long hyperlink - it's minor but it drives me batty!

I voted "no" - I also like the clean uncluttered look.

If we do get avatars here, my second choice would be to have them be all the same exact size, not just limiting how big they can be. That would keep the look neat while still allowing people to show their identity at a glance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads