Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Getcrafty's future?

So, I'm late in coming to Jean's blog entry about handing GC over to PoI, but also surprised to not see any sort of note or news about what this new editorial control means?

Can we get some feedback about the future of getcrafty.com?

2. # ADS

I concur. Frankly, Jean's editorial control was very important to me and the way Point of Impact has handled things like spam and communication with members compounded by their silence on this issue leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth. I met a lot of lovely people through Getcrafty, but if it's going to become some corporate entity, I can just hang with them on Livejournal and IRL.

Well, I'm having some of the same concerns, brdgt, but I hope after the long weekend someone from PoI will be in to talk to the getcrafty users about these issues.

:) Here's hopin', at least.

To combat the spam, perhaps we need more moderators at a limited level to just remove new threads created by new usernames?

Quote Originally Posted by kindarana
    To combat the spam, perhaps we need more moderators at a limited level to just remove new threads created by new usernames?
    Somebody has to do something because PoI is not. In my last exchange with Demetri he told me to just delete it - WTF? I can't. I'm not a moderator. Do they even know how this site works?

i keep randomly getting SQL errors when i try to load pages, which is annoying. also, yeah, the spam is getting even more out of hand than it was before. at least they gave up on those annoying banner ads.

Some quick feedback on the future of getcrafty.com...

Hello all,

I was going to wait until after the long weekend until I made comments about the future of getcrafty.com/Jean's departure, but in light of this thread, I thought I should make a couple
    comments. I personally thought it would make sense to wait a week to comment on the future of getcrafty.com so that the topics/threads on the site could have a chance to focus on Jean's contributions over the past years. My apologies if
    it seemed like we were ignoring the future of the site, which I am very excited about.

(1) A new editor-in- chief: We have received many wonderful proposals from members who would like to head up getcrafty.com. It is important to note that we are only considering proposals from individuals
    who are currently involved with getcrafty.com and who Jean recommends, so to ensure the site continues in the same spirit. We are scheduled to have the editor chosen by Sept 10.

(2) Spam: We spent hundreds of hours developing a piece of software to combat the spam problem. Jean made this the top priority when we started working with the site. Demetri, can explain in more detail
    how it works better than me, but I do know that when spam is detected by a moderator, the moderator can instantly delete this spam. It also deletes the account that posted the spam post, and permanently blocks the IP address that the spammer came from. If there is spam on the board, it means that the moderator hasn't gotten to the post yet. Now, if there is still a still a lot of spam on the board, we could look at having more "spam moderators" (like suggested by kindarana) because it really is basically as simple as clicking on the post and hitting a big red button.

(3) The creative/editorial future of getcrafty.com: Jean can attest to the fact that POI stays out of the editorial and creative part of the getcrafty.com. We let the editor tell us what the community wants. We don't have a marketing/corporate department that interferes with these things. Our role is to work on the technical aspects of the site. That's why it is paramount for us to have a great editor. We love the way getcrafty.com is (except the spam and maybe a couple technical glitches).

(4) Current projects/things to watch for: Right now, POI is working on a bunch of suggestions that Jean has set out as priorities. The first (and most urgent) was spam. I think we are very close on this. Now we are working on improving the newsletter functionality and adding new functionality to the blogs. After that we will be fielding suggestions from the editor and community and implementing these suggestions as much as we can.

I hope that helps clarify things a bit. Watch for a few more posts from us, and then hopefully we can get out the way, and let the community and new editor direct the site.

Please feel free to make any comments or ideas.

Thanks

Lance

clearly, the spam software isn't working very well, because there is more spam now than there ever was before PoI took over. and with only a few mods, it often doesn't get deleted quickly. i think giving more people the ability to delete spam is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by lance
    We let the editor tell us what the community wants. We don't have a marketing/corporate department that interferes with these things. Our role is to work on the technical aspects of the site.
    Does that mean that Jean, rather than POI, was responsible for suggesting the banner ads and the underlined/linked text experiment?

As for the spam, let me have a go at deleting it. I've counted 4 spam threads after looking in only 2 forums for less than two minutes. It's getting to the point where I just want to post F*@K Y*U!!!!! in those threads. I'm thoroughly sick of it.

I think the problem started with having the running of GC taken over by people who were not members of this community, who had nothing to do with this community, and who therefore don't understand the needs/wants or the problems from the basic function.

And don't even get me started on the gender analysis. THis is primarily a community of women (look at Jean's Manifesto), and now we need to plead with male organizers to even maintain the functionality that existed previously. It's ridiculous and a bit silly.

I'm posting here less and less, and frankly, I expect soon I'll not be here at all. I can see spam in plenty of other places, and those of us who connect on a particular level already have other venues (and boards) which are self-moderated and which we can use to discuss. Get Crafty is only as strong as it's membership.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads