Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: The future of Getcrafty?

unfortunately it seems that moderators have as much luck contacting admin as the users do. they haven't been responsive in the mod/admin forum with us either.

it's sad i miss the way things were here before. i can attest, and someday will, that getcrafty changed my life for the better and am sad at the current state of affairs.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Astrid
    I've stopped using the blogs here not only because I have a 'real' one now (since my blog isn't really about crafting), but also because I find it handy to use the pics from my own album here; and on top because people just seem to use it for advertising their shops. Despite warnings! Who acts against this?
    We can delete blog entries, but it can be such a fine line. I would be really interested in members reporting blog entries they thought were advertising. If you have a moment, go over there right now and tell me which ones you think cross the line.

wow, its a shame that the mods have no support from those running the board. The old glitter (before getcrafty & supernaturale) was a pretty simple board but effective way of connecting and sharing information.

Just this week via Twitter I was talking to someone about why I'm not on many of the boards. Besides being busy with grad school, it seems like something with the glitter split, new craft forums springing up, blogs and a variety of social networking sites divide where people can spend time online participating in craft communities. mods not having a way to delete the spam people makes this a less attractive place too visit :(

ETA: looking through the blog, I notice some posters have my avatar, not sure if it's a fluke or something else but really odd to see!

yeah, i'd have to agree that all the social networking sites have taken a bite out of the activity here. it's so much easier to load and have a personal space, and even interact on them. it seems that we've boiled down to a simple Q&A interface and once a question has (maybe) been answered, all discussion pretty much comes to a screeching halt. maybe having an interface that is more like a social networking site might make a difference? but then that requires a whole new interface, and who knows if anyone would be interested and then if there IS in fact interest, would admin even be interested in development?!?

GetCrafty was the first online crafty site that really provided me interest. Really, it was one of the first ones I found. I love that it seems to be more focused on WHY we craft, on anti-consumerism and such than some other places.

I've been a bad friend to getcrafty. I haven't been to the site in months.

I can't help the admin problem, but I can promise to come by more often.

I love that it seems to be more focused on WHY we craft, on anti-consumerism and such than some other places.
    This is exactly why I keep coming back here and the freestyle forum has been my favourite for quite a while. Other sites are good, but serve different functions for me. I like craftster.org for the Etsy forums, because Etsy's own are too vast (and too fast, lol) and confusing for me. They (craftster I mean) seem to be very positive to reuse and recycle, but the threads are slow on that subject. Other than that I find it just a lot of screaming for 'Look what I made', nothing wrong with it as such, but a bit shallow and too much of it for me.

To show off my work and ask questions about problems I have found the HGTV knitting and crochet board. This is a rather intimate and real 'sharing and caring' group. Even though membership is vast (good for lots of readers and lurkers and clicks on my blog link) the active posters all know each other quite well and even by their real name. I can throw in a deeper discussion once in a while and count on replies from real friends and even found I've opened people's minds a bit for certain things but it's politically neutral and not really the place to rally.

Because even on the HGTV t-2-t board, where I lurk a lot and post only sometimes, and where trash picking is a popular item, but it seems a place that also counts republican voters among them. Now I'm a foreigner and don't take sides, but sometimes I feel that it's more the love of recuperation and restoring old beautiful things as such (again, nothing wrong with that) than the environmental issue that drives some of the members there.

I use blogger's communities and photo sites for technical reasons but not much as a social network because they're not dedicated too crafts. Even if there are craft subgroups, I find the activity is relatively low in those. I mostly just connect to friends I know through other places.

So to conclude I still think GC is a place I need. I wouldn't start a discussion like 'Do you wear second hand clothing' anywhere else. Even though at the time that was to draw attention to a blog post, I love and suck in all the replies. Or where else would Jean start a thread about consumerism and craft? Too bad that one seems to have died out already!

To answer brdgts question: I don't want to brand anyone publicly or even privately to you. Because in most cases I think it's just a misunderstanding, but people copy each other and so it goes on. I mean all the blog posts that go 'Take a look at my shop' or 'New items in my shop' with the link in the post and meaning nothing else than to draw attention to that. I'm sure you know what I mean. To give an example of what I found a really good blog post lately: Boheme_anne's about her shop philosophy!

Comment notification still works very poorly. I only get them on threads I started myself and only about a week later! The good news is apparently there has been an article about us on Etsy. Or so it reads in one of the latest blog posts here. Haven't checked it out, but maybe that accounts for the increase of 900 members or so since last week?! Now what do we do to keep them?

I haven't posted here at ALL in 2008, but I still nose around from time to time -- it makes me weirdly sad to think of this place burning out. Even if it is just a message board, it totally changed my life too: this is where I learned HOW to be crafty, and I met some awesome people through getcrafty.

The split definitely had a lot to do with it. There's no way someone could stay actively involved in both boards without a ton of spare time.

For me, parenting had a lot to do with my absence -- my style is so different from the style of a LOT of the parenting board (of 2003) that I had to stay away to avoid frustration, if that makes sense. Also, I got hooked on livejournal and could talk to many of the awesome people from getcrafty on there.

So this isn't just a pointless nostalgia post, I will say that I agree with the point about advertising on the blogs -- the few times I HAVE visited the getcrafty blogs lately, I've seen quite a few "I just put these up in my shop, come look!" posts with a pic and nothing else. It doesn't seem to add anything of value to the community.

I'm sorry that the mods are having such a rough time with the new management! I noticed this was posted a few months ago -- did anything ever change for the better? I hope so!

Hi all,

sorry if this gets posted twice. I will attempt to speak with the admin. about the issues here--and also check back in more frequently! perhaps i can help...

jean

It's been a while since i've posted here, i'm not really sure why I drifted away- I think I became more involved with my own blog, going back to school and curating, and ended up spending less time on boards anywhere. In the spirit of revival I tried to make a blog post here today but kept getting an error message- and it does seem that if the forums are full of spam that can't be easily removed then it's going to be off putting for people just wandering in from elsewhere.

It's great that Jean popped in and I hope that things can get back on track, I hope I haven't left it too late to make my return!

It's a bummer that it turned out like that. =(
    Hopefully the admins allow people who have been around a long time, such as those who created this thread/mods, to have the ability to take care of things as necessary. I don't post often, but it would be a shame for this place to go, and it's already a shame that the bots have found it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads