Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This recipe looks pretty good for someone who is trying to avoid sugar but still wants some pumpkin yumminess. I haven't tried it yet, but may this weekend.

Crustless Pumpkin Pie
    Ingredients:

1 can pumpkin (15 oz)
    1 can evaporated skim milk (12 oz)
    3/4 cup egg substitute (or 3 egg whites)
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 tsp vanilla
    2/3 C. Splenda (or sugar) or to taste

Instructions:

Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth.

Pour into a 9" sprayed pie pan

Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, and then at 325 for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Serves 8

2. # ADS

Ohh, ti--bring on the mini pumpkin loaves recipe!

i found this recipe today in "the candle cafe cookbook." i like this book, it has some great recipes (especially for soups!) although the ingredients are sometimes hard to find. the book's by joy pierson and bart potenza and is vegan, if anyone's interested...

pumpkin pudding

1/2 c arrowroot powder
    4 cups vanilla soymilk
    3 c canned pumpkin puree
    1/2 c maple syrup
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp sea salt (fine grained)
    vanilla soy ice cream (or regular ice cream) or tofu whip (or whipped cream) for garnish (optional)
    mint leaves for garnish (optional)

1. preheat the oven to 350 degrees
    2. in a large mixing bowl, dissolve the arrowroot powder in the soy milk. add teh pumpkin puree, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt and mix well to combine. transfer to a large greased glass or ceramic baking dish and bake for one hour, until lightly browned and bubbly.
    3. remove from the oven and let cool for 1/2 hour before serving. if the pudding has developed a skin on top, skim it off before serving. garnish w/the ice cream and mint leaves, or layer with tofu whip for a parfait, if desired.

i normally think pudding is kind of creepy (often because it has gelatin in it) but this one sounds yummy! just like gooey pumpkin pie...

ti
    Ohh, ti--bring on the mini pumpkin loaves recipe! annied

Here you go ... lemme know what y'all think!

Mini Pumpkin Cranberry Bread
    makes 8 mini loaves

3 cups flour
    1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    3 cups sugar
    1 (15 oz.) can of pure pumpkin puree
    4 large eggs
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup orange juice (highly recommended) or water
    1 cup sweetened dried, fresh or frozen cranberries (recommend defrosting first!)*
    microplaned orange rind to taste** (optional)

Flour mixture
    Combine the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, salt (and optional orange rind) in a large bowl

Pumpkin Mixture
    Combine sugar, eggs, oil and juice or water and pumpkin puree in a small mixer bowl and mix until just blended

Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture and stir until just moistened
    Fold in cranberries

Spoon batter into 5 or 6 greased and floured 5 x 3 mini loaf pans (I found lining with parchment works best!)

Each pan will hold a little more than one cup of batter. Add streusel topping to each pan.

Bake for 50-55 minutes (Turn pans around after 25 minutes) in 350-degree oven or until wooden pick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the loaf

Cool in pans for ten minutes and remove to wire racks to cool

Option: use pumpkin pie mixture and omit pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice or make a streusel topping (recipe below)

*I would recommend macerating the cranberries with about two teaspoons of sugar and orange flavored liquor and some orange rind. Microwave for about 30 to 45 seconds. Drain before adding to the batter.

tadiola

Pecan Streusel topping
    *one recipe should make enough for two recipes of bread

2/3 cup chopped pecans
    2/3 cup flour
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    5 tablespoons melted butter
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix together or pulse in a food processor until it looks like coarse crumbs.

I made pumpkin soup for thanksgiving yesterday and it was wonderful -- I didn't use a recipe though; just threw things like onions, ginger, cumin, garlic powder, and nutmeg in. I blended it up to make a "cream" soup, but you wouldn't have to...

My favourite squash recipe ever is this:

take any sort of squash (i like acorn or butternut) except spaghetti, cut it in half. brush some oil over the exposed flesh and then set cut-side down on a baking sheet and bake at about 400 degrees until you can easily stick a fork through the skin (about 30 minutes or so). this is much faster in the microwave but i don't have one.

flip the squash halves onto plates and fill them with rice or couscous, then pour peanut sauce overtop. (peanut sauce: 3tbsp peanut butter, 2 crushed garlic cloves, 2tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 tsp sugar, pinch of chili powder) it's crazy, crazy good.

help

maybe someone out there will be willing to help me. i have tried the quick pumpkin bread recipe from Joy of Cooking and i LOVE it! i have used the recipe many times and it always comes out irresistable. my problem is that i am now in school in scotland and had to leave my cookbooks behind when i came over. is anyone out there able to send me the recipe or direct me to a link that has it? i tried to find the book here but the local Borders doesn't stock it. short of special ordering it (which i don't want to do yet) i can't get my hands on my favorite pumpkin bread recipe. thanks.

Wow, talk about a blast from the past with this thread popping back up! It's funny to read this now... because not only did I try to Joy of Cooking pumpkin bread recipe, but I am totally addicted to it!!

hmarkowitz, here is the recipe (from my 1997 copy of the Joy of Cooking, pg. 774):

"You can make this loaf with any cooked mashed squash, yams, or sweet potatoes.

Have all ingredients at room temperature. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5 inch (8 cup) loaf pan. Whisk together thoroughly:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ground gloves
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Combine in another bowl:
    1/3 cup water or milk
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In a large bowl, beat until creamy, about 30 seconds:
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter

Gradually add and beat on high speed until lightened in color and texture, 3 to 4 minutes:
    1 1/3 cups sugar, or 1 cup sugar plus 1/3 cup packed light or dark brown sugar

Beat in 1 at a time:
    2 large eggs

Add and beat on low speed just until blended:
    1 cup pumpkin puree

Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the milk mixture in 2 parts, beating on low speed or stirring with a rubber spatula until smooth and scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Fold in:
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
    1/3 cup raisins or chopped dates

Scrape the batter into the pan and spread evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about one hour. Let cook in the pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes before unmolding to cool completely on the rack."

Hope that helps!

pumpkin

thank you thank you thank you!!!!

if it helps any....when i used to make this recipe i would triple it and use an entire large can of libby's pumpkin, which gives you just a little bit more than 3 cups of pumpkin. it makes it just a touch more 'pumpkiny' :). and it's just a bit more gooey if you cook it until it is almost, but not quite done all the way in the center. plus, i always used the milk instead of water and i think i substitued butter flavor crisco instead of unsalted butter (or maybe the version of the recipe i had called for crisco and i used the butter flavor?).

again, THANK YOU so much for reuniting me with my favorite recipe ever!! my copy of joy of cooking back in the states is all stained with orange splatters from all the times i have made this.

well, my cans if pumpkin await!!

I love squash and pumpkin, you can sub out the squash in this for a sugar pumpkin:

quarter 2 acorn squash

in the bottom of a kettle put 3/4 cup of veg. broth, 1 tablespoon raw sugar, 1 teaspoon sea-salt and 1 cup of water... add steam tray on top - place acorn squash, steam until soft

remove squash

add 2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar to the remaining liquid and 1 teaspoon of butter, reduce to 1/2 cup

remove squash from skin, put into a food processor or blender, with 5 cloves of garlic, 1 tablespoon of butter, 1/4 cup of unstrained apple cider and 1/4 cup of milk - make smooth

add to reduced liquid and stir; while stirring bring to a rapid boil, then turn off heat, stir until bubbling stops

serve warm

I have also made a pumpkin ravioli with a similar recipe but less watered down (you can reduce it). I used a basic flour and egg pasta recipe. Serve it with sage butter.

this isn't exactly a recipe, but try replacing the banana in your favorite banana bread recipe with canned (or cooked and pureed) pumpkin. add some pumpkin pie spices, and if you like, mini chocolate chips. it's way better than banana bread, i think.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads