Recipes high in Iron

Does anybody have any good recipes high in iron? My iron is low and I really don't want to have to keep taking an iron pill. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. # ADS

iron

hi sabriel,

from what i know vegetables like dark greens/spinach, tomatoes, and broccoli; proteins like beans, eggs, and red meat are high in iron.

feel better!
    lauren

sabriel,

i have an iron deficiency too. i know it might seem gross, but i eat organic chicken liver once a week. i fry in up in a pan and eat it with dijon mustard. my family is french, so i actuallyu like liver. another way to get it is through pates.

also, try sauteeing spinache in a little butter, olive oil and garlic. it's quick (if you buy the pre-washed stuff) and a good source of iron.

another trick i learned is to eat calcium food and iron-rich foods seperately, as they counteract one another.

good luck.

Actually, spinach having lots of iron is an urban myth that's been propagated in textbooks from an error in the 1910's. Misplaced decimal point. Many leafy greens do have large amounts of iron, but spinach is not among them.

Thanks for the advice, especially eating calcium-enriched seperate from the iron-enriched.

Spinach is high in vitamin A and C, though, and that's VERY helpful for iron absorption.

Try this recipe for Penne Salad with Steak and Sauteed Spinach:

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/hk/reci...65,231,00.html

karla, thanks for the recipe! sounds delicious! and who knew about spinache and iron? i switch between spinache and kale, but maybe i'll stick with the dark leafies.
    hmmmm

An easy option is to try to have a good bran flakes (or iron-fortified Total or something) cereal, they are pretty high in iron and are easy to just have a bowl of it, but don't go crazy since apparantly the phytates in bran and high fiber foods inhibit absorption) .
    One the most surprising thing (to me at least) that has a lot of iron is clams (check out the nutritional values of a can of plain clams, not clam chowder) I didn't beleive the nutritionist when they told me that, but now I make sure I sautee a can of clams with a tomato sauce, garlic, a little heavy cream and othe herbs and have it over linguini whenever I am going to donate platelets at the blood center.
    Also, the nurses at the blood donor clinic suggest trail mix with almonds, dried apricots and raisins as a snack that is high in iron.
    One other thing to remember is that Phytic and tannic acids, when consumed in large amounts, prevent the absorption of iron. Phytic acid is found in rye bread and other foods made from whole grains, and in nonherbal teas. Tannic acid is found in commercial black and pekoe teas, coffee, cola drinks, chocolate, and red wines. (of course I've also been told it is the polyphenols in coffee and tea that bind the iron)
    So if you drink a lot of coffee and red wine and eat chocolate (yes, now I'm talking about me ; ) ) you could be cancelling out some of the good iron you eat.
    Finally when I know I'm not eating well I cave in and eat supplement bar - Luna Bars are the only one's I've found with decent iron numbers, and the chocolate pecan bar is actually quite tasty.
    That's all, I hope you feel better, I've been there and it sucks feeling so wiped out the way an iron deficiency makes you. It's also frustrating that depending on who in the medical profession you talk to you get a different answer (like with the spinach mix up), it is good to remember that many GP's will have only taken about 3 hours of nutrition clasees in their entire medical training.
    bree : )

Remove Ads

Ads