Dark Chocolate Ganache Easter Egg Cake

Dark Chocolate Ganache Easter Egg Cake-final-002.jpg
    Additional pics and tutorial at Sisteroo Dark Chocolate Ganache Easter Egg Cake

INGREDIENTS

• 1 box dark chocolate cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
    • 1/2 c. butter, softened
    • 1 1/2 c. confectioners' (powdered) sugar
    • 1 pint heavy whipping cream
    • 1 12-oz bag semi sweet chocolate chips
    • 1/2 c. granulated sugar
    • 1/2 c. water
    • Optional: malt ball eggs or other Easter candy for decorating

DIRECTIONS

1. Prepare dark chocolate cake mix according to directions. Bake the cake in 2 round 9" cake pans.

2. While your cake is baking, prepare a simple buttercream frosting by beating the 1/2 c. butter with 1 Tb. of the whipping cream, then adding 1 1/2 c. confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form. Set buttercream aside.

3. Once your cakes have finished baking, remove from the oven and let cool.

4. Prepare a "simple syrup" to preserve the cake's moistness (since it will be refrigerated) by heating 1/2 c. granulated sugar and 1/2 c. water in a saucepan until boiling. Let boil for 3 minutes.

5. Use a serrated knife to flatten the bottom cake layer. Stack the cakes on top of each other and carve off the edges of the cake to create an egg shape.

6. Lightly brush the simple syrup over the top of each cake layer using a pastry brush. This will preserve the cake's moistness, even after refrigeration.

7. Pour the 12 oz bag of chocolate chips into a glass bowl. Pour 1 1/3 c. heavy whipping cream into a small sauce pan and heat on medium high, stirring constantly, until it is just boiling. Quickly pour the hot cream over your chocolate chips and stir with a whisk until the chocolate is completely melted. Chocolate ganache...complete!

8. Incorporate 1/4 c. of the chocolate ganache into your buttercream. Spread a thick layer of the chocolate buttercream between your cake layers.

9. Slowly pour the remaining chocolate ganache over the top of the egg cake, letting it coat the top and sides completely.

10. Use the remaining chocolate buttercream to pipe decor around the bottom layer of your egg cake. Decorate with Easter candy as desired.

11. Refrigerate for 2 or more hours (up to overnight) before serving.

Additional pics and tutorial at Sisteroo Dark Chocolate Ganache Easter Egg Cake

2. # ADS

Nice sharing. Does it need lots of preparations and work? I love chocolate cakes very much and hope to make one.
    Love to share pretty beaded jewelry making tutorials and DIY making instructions on pandahall.

Ooh, this looks so good. I'm a sucker for chocolate anything.

Oh my! I wish I saw this before Easter! Definitely making this for next year, thanks for sharing!

It's already on the to-do list of my wife, I hope she finds time to try this soon, looks wonderful!

Wow,seems so delicious,thanks for sharing!

Great recipe! Going to try this one out this weekend! Thanks a ton for sharing!

Wow! It's mouthwatering. Thanks for sharing this yummy cake recipe. I'll try to make it soon.

Mmm, looking so delicious, I'd like to taste it right now) Thanks for the recipe.

Remove Ads

Ads