Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

what are you making for thanksgiving?

my husband convinced me to serve ham! we really don't like turkey...and Pino, my butcher, has the best, most succulent ham on the planet...so ham it is. along with sweet potatoes, green beans with lemon zest and butter, red leaf lettuce with dried cranberry, honey-roasted walnuts and ricotta salata and perhaps some mac and cheese.

We'll serve everything buffet style, invite whoever is still left in nyc, open a bunch of wine, forbid any tv viewing and stuff ourselves silly.

what are your thanksgiving traditions? are you creating new ones?

2. # ADS

i have been in nyc for a few years, and at first would go home to new england to be with my family. but last year i had so much work to do (eeking out the last couple semesters of school) that my boyfriend and i stayed home. we decided to host thanksgiving, and it was my first time doing that! i got to cook and bake and we had about 6 people join us. it was so much fun that we are doing it again this year, especially cos it is my very last semester and there's no way i can get home to the 'rents!

we are having vegetarian thanksgiving...we are not veggies, but a lot of our friends are, so it is just easier that way.

my one favorite and important tradition food-wise is stuffing dates with peanut butter while watching the parade. can't wait to do that this year!

i'd be interested in knowing about veggie meals for thanksgiving if anyone knows of any good ones...no tofurkey though!

I just love all the veggies - and happily forego the turkey sometimes just to have enough room on my plate for all the gorgeous side dishes!

Are you looking for a recipe for a main course?

Damn it, now I'm hungry.

We usually go to my mom's house (and take leftovers home for sandwiches, haha, we're so lazy), but this year we're going to FL to visit mr. lemming's parents. I'm baking an easy banana bread that I found in Real Simple to take as a hostess gift, but that's all for me this year.

Next year, fingers crossed, we'll be in a house of our own and can start our own family traditions. (Like taking out the xmas tree the day after Thanksgiving -- we did that when I was growing up and I'm very fond of that tradition.)

i always cook a quite traditional meal and take all day doing it...this year...i'm really wanting to do a deep-fried turkey, though i am a little bit scared. it just seems like it'd be such fun and would definitely be light-hearted (and/or very greasy)!

I've hosted Thanksgiving a few times and I've done everything from the tradtional meal to veggie centered ethnic meals. Part of the deal with my immediate family is that they hate turkey + my dear husband is a vegetarian. This is the first year I've invited everyone (I mean everyone) over for a big open house. Usually we have around 10 but this year it will be closer to 30. We're doing an open house with the following:

Turkey and Ham (for sandwiches)
    whole grain rolls from a local bakery
    cranberry sauce (this is a big deal with our family)
    a relish tray with calamata olives, pickled beets and okra, marinated cucumbers
    spanikopita
    sweet potato salad
    cheese platter
    wassail/beer/wine

Since I'm doing the main food everyone else is bringing dessert. Although if I have time I might do this toffee bread pudding that I just got a recipe for. I'm looking forward to having all of my cousins, aunts and uncles and even the inlaws in. We haven't gathered this many together for Thanksgiving for some time. But I have to say I'm a little nervous. I've had this many over before, but it's usually for some big bash, not something is more formal/family oriented. Thanksgiving can be difficult because everyone has their own traditions and nostogic attachments/expectations for food. Or at least my food-centric family can be this way. Wish me luck!

we are making reservations at a restaurant! given various family situations, it's just proven to be easier to do this. my mom, brother & i usually pitch in to make christmas dinner, but for thanksgiving going the out-to-eat route works best.

your menus all sound yummy though!

I like making Cornish Game Hens -- one or a half for each person. Of course, that's usually for a very small party (four or less). It's fun, though, because you can pretend that you have your own little "turkey" all to yourself (even though it's chicken).

Quote Originally Posted by cackalackie
    I just love all the veggies - and happily forego the turkey sometimes just to have enough room on my plate for all the gorgeous side dishes!

Are you looking for a recipe for a main course?
    me too! last year i picked all over the side dishes and only ate a little piece of the main course of tofurkey. it wasn't turkey-shaped tofu, though...i think it was seitan.

yeah, a main course would be great if anyone knows a good one. there are some on epicurious i might try for dinner this next week to test them out on the carnivorous boy...he'll be happy to be the guinea pig!

I'm going to my first ever Thanksgiving meal this year with real live actual Americans...I've heard tales of all the weird and wonderful family traditions and strange meals that people come up with, and already reading this thread has made me a little bit worried...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads