Veggie Stuffing?

I'm having Thanksgiving at the home of a friends' parents (meat eaters). I also got a Tofurkey just because I like it, that I'll have for my leftovers. I've never made stuffing before, but I find the stuffing inside the tofurkey disgusting. I have a really, really stale baguette I planned to use, but don't know what to do next. Anyone have any recipes? I am proficient in the kitchen, but somehow have never made stuffing.

2. # ADS

I make non-stuffed stuffing all the time... go carbs go! :o) No real recipe, I just wing it:

Boil a 4-5 cups of water and disolve some veggie boullion powder in it. Make it fairly strong because this is where a lot of your flavour comes from (mmmmm, MSG!). Add some spices (no salt, the boullion takes care of that for you). Thyme and Rosemary really are the key ones for a truly yummy stuffing. Set aside.

Chop up some onion & garlic, toss into a large pot with some butter and olive oil and saute for a few minutes. Add some of your prepared veggie boullion chopped carrot, celery and mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes until your veggies have softened up.

Add some of your bread cubes (a mix of all different breads is nice and lots of crust is good, too). Pour a small amount of the boullion over the cubes and toss with veggies. Keep adding cubes and more boullion until the stuffing is damp but not soggy.

All done! You can eat as is or put into a cassarole dish and bake in the oven for a little while at low heat to dry it out a bit if you like.

Now the version I gave above is the "proper" way to do it. When I make it I just boil some water and leave it in the kettle. As it is boiling, I chop my onion and garlic and toss it in with the butter and oil. As that is cooking, I chop my other veggies and toss them in. As that is cooking up, I chop my bread. Throw in my spices and then, I start putting in the bread, sprinkle some powdered boullion on top, add some water and fold it in. More bread, boullion and water, etc until all the bread is in the pot. Easy-peasy!

Mmmmm, stuffing! :o)

if you don't want to be gourmet, you can buy boxes of instant stuffing at the store. i think Mrs. Cubbisons has some vegetarian ones, just read the ingredients to make sure there's no meat flavoring or anything. just follow the directions on the box. i usually put all the prepared stuffing in a casserole and bake it for a while, until the top browns.

Stuffing time is also one of the few times my husband uses fake meat. He uses a recipe that calls for meat bouillon and sausage and he replaces them with with veggie bouillon and the fake sausage you get in the roll. It is very much like the recipe posted above. I find that the sausage adds an extra decadence to the flavour.

our tried and true familt recipe:

1 loaf of stale bread ripped into chunks
    veggie stock
    savory, thyme, and sage
    1 onion
    1 cube butter
    2-4 eggs, beat

boil one quarter of the onion, skin on (it makes the broth a brownish colour, which is also good for making gravy), with the herbs. mix butter, bread, stock, and eggs in a bowl, dump into a pie pan, and cook for 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Well, I made a fairly traditional stuffing and it turned out great! Your arteries will harden just reading about it!

Melt 1 stick butter. That's right, the whole stick.
    Saute
    1 chopped onion
    lots of chopped celery

While you're sauteeing, sprinkle in
    sage (lots)
    rosemary
    oregano
    thyme (lots)
    ground bay leaf (lots)

When the onion and celery are completely translucent, pour in the bread cubes. I used the aforementioned stale baguette and cubed a few slices of whole grain bread for variety. The baguette did stop being crunchy, but it never stopped being *very* chewy. So I don't know that I recommend extremely stale bread.

I also added sunflower seeds for a texture variation and a little protein.

Stir to coat the bread with the herbs and veggies, and then pour in vegetable broth (I used the paramalat packed kind from Trader Joe's) until it's the right level of moisture. Put into a casserole and keep warm in the oven.

My mushroom gravy, also the first time I've tried it, came out DELICIOUS.

Heat about 2 tbsp olive oil and add
    a chopped onion
    Cook at medium low until the onion carmelizes, about 10 minutes, stirring.
    While the onion is cooking,
    Slice mushrooms (I used cremini and button)
    When the onion is golden brownish, add the mushrooms and
    3-4 cloves minced garlic.
    Saute until the mushrooms are tender and have given up their juices.
    Whisk about 2 tbsp flour into a cup of veggie broth, and stir into the mushrooms.
    Keep adding veggie broth and/or flour (always mix the flour into the liquid first, don't add flour directly to the gravy or it will lump) until you have enough gravy and it's the right texture.
    Add about 1/2 cup dry red wine. This turns the gravy purple so use
    Soy sauce to adjust the salt flavor and get it back to brown.

This gravy is so delicious!!!!

Remove Ads

Ads