Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: super-size me

super-size me

has anyone heard of this movie about a guy who only ate mcdonald's for a month or so and documented it? my question is: is this pretenscious or pertinent? since i haven't seen it yet (but will) i'd be interested to hear what other people think.

here's the info below...

Why are Americans so fat? Find out in Super Size Me, a tongue in-cheek - and burger in hand -- look at the legal, financial and physical costs of America's hunger for fast food.

Ominously, 37% of American children and adolescents are carrying too much fat and 2 out of every three adults are overweight or obese. Is it our fault for lacking self-control, or are the fast-food corporations to blame?

Filmmaker Morgan Spurlock hit the road and interviewed experts in 20 U.S. cities, including Houston, the "Fattest City" in America. From Surgeon Generals to gym teachers, cooks to kids, lawmakers to legislators, these authorities shared their research, opinions and "gut feelings" on our ever-expanding girth.

During the journey, Spurlock also put his own body on the line, living on nothing but McDonald's for an entire month with three simple rules:

1) No options: he could only eat what was available over the counter (water included!)
    2) No supersizing unless offered
    3) he had to eat everything on the menu at least once.

for more info, see
    http://www.supersizeme.com

2. # ADS

What is sad that it is cheaper to go bigger. Today at 7-11 I got a Big Gulp for $1.06. I could have gotten a Super Big Gulp for .79 cents. The things I knew I would never finish it nor do I need the extra caffiene or calories.

I miss McDonalds small fries, the one that game in the bags.

I don't think that they should call them kids meals. I think they should call them "appropriate portions for adults meals" because truly they fill me up and most of what you get in the children's sizes are correct protions instead of overstuffed ones.

I took a couple of nutrition classes and boy does it make you realize what kind of junk is out there.

Ooh, I can't wait to see this documentary! Personally, I despise McDonald's.

We tried to see it during SXSW in March. We stood in a really long line for an hour, only to be told that the distributor was limiting the number of seats to 300 in a 1200 person theater. Poo on the distributor.

yeah. now that i have a kid, i've been reading up on nutrition and fast food and i'm really freaked out about the state of food and health in our country. that said, i've been known to consume fast food and i don't want to be one of those people who looks down on everyone who doesn't eat all organic all the time. i think the conversation can sometimes feel elitist. i've been researching healthy alterantives for public school lunches; that seems like a really grass roots opportunity to create change in the american diet.

A coworker & I were just discussing this yesterday, after seeing a newspaper article claiming that many popular diet plans are just too expensive for many people to follow—the only affordable food is often unhealthy and if you're already fat, it will keep you fat.

I don't buy that entirely—I know there's some truth that diets often recommend pricey food, but it's not all that difficult to make substitutions, especially if you're willing to do without some of the variety. But yes, healthy food is harder to find and more labor-intensive to prepare. If you're in a hurry or just exhausted from working all day, it's a lot more convenient to pick up fast food or order out. I'm trying to cut down on doing that myself.

One more thing about just stopping eating when you've had enough: Sounds like the perfect solution in theory, and if you're able to do that, that's wonderful. However, common foods can cause a reaction in some people who are "sensitive" to them, that just makes them crave more and more, no matter how full they are. They can't just stop. They're actually allergic to the food and should avoid it, but don't realize that—especially if it's something found in almost everything they eat. I only know this because I have this problem (for me, specifically with dairy). I wouldn't be surprised if it's the root cause for a lot of people's so-called "compulsive eating problems".

And since fast food and convenience food contain a lot more additives and hidden ingredients than fresh foods, the likelihood is much greater that there's going to be something in there that produces an adverse reaction in any given person.

I just bought tickets for Super Size Me, it's playing the 16th at the Taos film festival. Reminds me of Fast Food Nation which is an amazing book about the industry.

This might be tmi, but don't dismiss the medicinal side of McD's. When I used to get constipated I would have a mcdonald's hamburger. Worked every time.

(no more non organic cow for me though, mad cow disease spooked me away from it)

Quote Originally Posted by twilight
    I just bought tickets for Super Size Me, it's playing the 16th at the Taos film festival. Reminds me of Fast Food Nation which is an amazing book about the industry.
    fast food nation is one of my favorite books. it's so well written and interesting. definately made me want to stay away from fast food chains and appreciate my old hometown fave; in-n-out burger.

Last edited by Elf_Chick; 04-14-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Great bad idea for a movie indeed!
    Is it true that junkfood is cheaper than a homecooked meal? Here in The Netherlands that's not the case. All fast food is fairly expensive I think. For a meal for 2 (burger, fries, sodas) we pay about $ 18 or so. I can cook 2 meals for that kind of money.

I never have any supersize because it's way too much. Dave does though, and he can eat all that. I never manage to finish a soda at McD.

It's probably not that much cheaper, just easier, e.g.
    2 big mac meals here are probably about 11 dollars. Last night we had steaks and shrimp, and i'll break it down
    steaks: $6 dollars for 2 people
    18 shrimp: $3 (approx, i used about half of a 6 dollar package)
    garlic: $.50 (guessing)
    lime: $.50
    honey, oil seasonings etc let's say $2
    fries $.75 (used half a package)

That's a whopping 12.75 bucks for a MUCH nicer meal than at McD's. Was it easier and faster? no. If we were to do hamburgers and fries at home (which are much better than mc'ds, I'd guess
    $1 per patty, $.10 per bun, $.10 cheese, $.50 condiments, $.50 tomato, $.75 fries, my grand total is $4.05 for two people...almost the price of one big mac meal... so no it's not cheaper to eat at mcdonalds, unless you include the time it takes to make all that plus electricity, even then probably not that much of a difference, you still have to wait for mcd's at the drivethru and gas here is $$$.

Although I suppose you could eat off the dollar menu, get a chicken sandwich for a dollar a small fries for a dollar and a drink for a dollar and that's still 6 bucks for two people...but most people don't like to make food, I certainly don't unless i'm inspired by the tv or am excited by the food i'm making, so i think of mcd's as cheaper, but it's not...it's just cheaper than going to a nice sit down place.

jt

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads