Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

deep-fried turkey?

we're deep-fried turkey virgins...everyone warns us about burning the house, possibly the neighborhood, down...i've been fearless thus but am starting to doubt now that the turkey is in the house. any suggestions?

we have a fire extinguisher. we plan to wear long sleeves and gloves. we know to place the turkey in water in the cooking pan to measure how much oil to put in...other than that, we're hoping for the best.

thanks in advance and have a happy...!

b.

2. # ADS

I'm a virgin too, but my husband really did have someone at his work BURN THE HOUSE DOWN!!! I think that they did it outside on a wooden deck, which caught fire. I don't remember how it happened - maybe they fell asleep or something............

The boy's boss deep fried his turkey last year and didn't burn his house down, as far as I know...

Maybe practice on a chicken or quail? Oh god, wouldn't a duck be luscious?

Oh god, wouldn't a duck be luscious?
    Now you're talking! (MMMmmm.....crispy duuuuuck.)

duck WOULD be great...just to note...the peanut oil for frying it cost more than the turkey itself...and i got a not-cheap whole foods turkey! gah!

Mm, peanut oil. Best popcorn I ever had at a movie theater was made with peanut oil.

A lot of people don't realize that you have to COMPLETELY dry the inside of the pot after you do the water trick to see how much oil to put in with the turkey. If you don't do that, the water and oil combo is really dangerous. That's how a lot of the fires are started.

how did it taste?

the head of my school deep fries his chicken every year, ironically he's originally from kentucky...

regarding a deep-fried duck, would it be anything like peking duck from the chinese restaurants?

hi everyone,

didn't burn the house down. the turkey was a success...i just have to say that the turkey really DOES splatter a LOT when it first goes in the pot. it was a little scary...

as for the taste, it had a spicy cajun flavor since that was the type of brine i "injected" into it...i think we just cooked it a wee bit too long and it dried out a touch, which was a bit disappointing. i don't know that i'd rush to make one again; it turned out to be expensive and messy...and there was no homemade gravy...it was definitely worth the adventure, though!

thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!

b.

Peanut oil vs. cheap stuff

FYI- the first time I did this I bought the block of hydrogenated oil "gunk" at samsclub- less than $10. Mom was peeved and insisted that the procedure called for peanut oil and that I was doing it all wrong. Well, I was vindicated when it turned out to be the most incredible turkey EVER!
    (after we freaked over the flaming oil volcano- because i did not heed the water test warning!- what a pain to clean!) We ate most of the yummy crisp and flavorful skin at the counter while we carved!
    To test the peanut/cheap oil theory again, at christmas we did use moms $$ peanut oil- i think it was about $30!!! and it got very hot and the turkey was charred beyond edible. We were crushed! I will try this again- and maybe get it right all accross the board! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads