Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

need recipes for 30 people - homeless women's support group

hi everyone!

i volunteer with a program here in SF - folks cook dinner twice a month for a support group for women who are homeless and hiv+. they like easily recognizable comfort foods, like mac&cheese, pasta, mashed potatoes, and meatloaf.

problem is, not all recipes translate well to being multiplied by 8. does anyone have any experience cooking for large groups of people, or know of any recipe sites good for stuff like this?

thanks!

2. # ADS

you might want to ask your local school commissary.... since they generally make the kind of food you're talking about...

Soups are good since you don't have to worry much about the specifics.

What a wonderful thing you're doing!

I poked around a bit and came up with these two sites:

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/
    http://www.recipegoldmine.com/crowd/crowd.html

it looks like they have some of the comfort foods you mentioned.

-Anna

ooh thanks for the tips.

mizmosa, those sites look great. i cringed when i saw the mac and cheese for 25. last night i had a huge cooking disaster when i showed up to cook and was left alone to make 10 cups of a bechamel sauce. it was burned beyond use. i really, really could've used an easy cheese sauce recipe. next time, for sure!

keep the ideas coming!

Spaghettie,Lentil Soup.

I know of a good comfort food, more of a side dish, though.

1. Get 6 or so frozen loaves of dough, let them defrost and roll them out, as if you were going to make a pizza.
    2. Top entirely with:
    mozzarella and pepperoni or
    bacon and cheddar or
    ham and provolone or
    spinach and feta or
    anything else you can think of that sounds yummy.
    3. Roll up the bread, stromboli-style and place on lightly greased pans. Dust the pans and top of bread with cornmeal.
    4. Give the loaves some space from one another, and about a half hour to rise, while oven is preheating at about 350
    5. Pop them in the oven, and cook for about 25 minutes or until the tops and sides are nicely browned.
    Depending on the size of your oven, you might have to cook the breads in batches, because they can triple in size!

Breads are delicious right out of the oven, but they're also really good cold and they reheat nicely. They work with just about anything: soups, pasta, salad, and in a pinch, they're fine on their own.

Good luck!
    Chrissy
    www.ottseetotsee.com

I'm not any help, the best I can do is a big crock pot of spaghetti sauce. I think it's wonderful that you cook for them though.

*Thread hijack*
    Where can you buy frozen loaves of bread? I've looked in every grocery store and the only this I can find is Texas toast and dinner rolls.

*end thread hijack*

i come from a large hispanic family - every party is at least 20-25 people, if we double my hubby's family and mine,its like 60!

our old standard is tostadas - you can buy a huge sleeve of them already crisp and then buy a huge can of beans, add some cheese, shredded lettuce...it goes really far and is very inexpensive!

hope that helps a little!

Hi -

The term "Thread hijack" made me giggle!

I live in NJ, and I suppose we might have a lot more food products available due to the fact that there are more than 7 million very cranky and demanding people crammed into a very small state. To find frozen (uncooked) loaves of bread, you might want to check in the freezer section of your grocery store, near the pastry and pie crusts.

If not, frozen pizza dough works, if you have it in the deli case. Or, you could make the dough at home...which I do sometimes, depending on how much time and energy I have...and the bread tastes even better!

If you need a recipe for a nice white bread, let me know!

Best wishes-
    Chrissy

PS - my boyfriend asked what I was doing, and when I told him, he suggested a casserole he makes sometimes: it's easy and feeds lots of people - boil some potatoes until soft, then throw in some Italian sausage (yep, right into the water), and then some chopped onion (yep, again, right into the water), and just when the onions and sausage are about cooked, toss in some tomatoes. Drain immediately and serve with lots of salt and pepper.

Another area you might look at is "freezer cooking" or "once a month cooking". www.30daygourmet.com has a free recipe section and the recipes are charted up for how many servings you need (plus most are really easy recipes). It's meant to be used as multiple meals for one family, but you could easily use them as one big meal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads