Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    the dec 2004 issue of "everyday food" (the little martha food magazine, its sacrelige, i know, but read on...) included 3 or 4 slow cook recipes including a recipe for a yellow, coconut curry chicken which i made tonight. its only my second crock pot recipe and it ROCKED!

if you can't find the magazine, check her web site. there's a bbq recipe, and an italian pot roast recipe that i can't wait to try. i made a few other recipes for this magazine (this was the first time i picked it up, a friend recommended it to me and i'm so glad she did) and they've all been fabulous!

its worth slumming with "con" for the curry dish!

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by ti
    btw - if you eat red meat, a tri tip in the crockpot is divine ... you sear the tri tip all over. add garlic, onions and rosemary, veggies, your choice of broth and BEER! then mushrooms at the end ...
    I just made this today, and it was the most amazing thing I've made in my crock pot so far!! The beer does make a big difference. The meat was very tender and juicy.

Good recipe!

I'm loving my crockpot because once you get the basic principles down, there's so much room for improvisation and experimentation, but at worst, you're going to have an "okay" meal. Nothing seems to turn out horrible.

ti
    btw - it is REALLY great if you throw a few jalapenos in there to taste, it mellows out after being cooked so long. It is also great with pork!

I dug out my mom's crockpot a few months ago when school got to be overwhelming and I never had time to make dinner. I made a kind of lentil potage that I liked a lot, and a split pea soup that didn't work quite as well. I need to get organized and try more stuff.

One of the little check-out line cookbooks (Pillsbury or Betty Crocker or something like that) of crockpot recipes she has said so not to be afraid to try the cheaper cuts of meat because they actually work better than the pricier stuff due to the long cooking time.

Quote Originally Posted by craftytricks
    Has anyone made a cake in a crock pot? I hear this can be done and I'm very curious about how it works/turns out.
    I LOVE crock pot cake and it's so easy. I got this recipe from my boyfriend's grandma (I think it's a Betty Crocker recipe)

Crock Pot Cake
    1 box cake mix (I like white mix the best but I haven't tried chocolate and I bet it's awesome)
    1 1/3 cup water
    1/3 cup applesauce
    3 beaten egg whites
    1 can cherry pie filling

1. Mix top 3 ingredients together.
    2. Fold in beaten egg whites.
    3. Spray cooker really thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray and turn on high.
    4. Add pie filling to crock pot.
    5. Then add cake batter.
    6. Put 2 layers of paper towels between crockpot and lid to absorb excess moisture.
    7. Cook on high for at least 2 hours.
    8. When done, turn off cooker and remove towels and lid; let cool for 15 minutes in cooker.
    9. Turn cake out on serving tray or dish. Add whipped cream if desired.

The cherries will spill out on to the top and over the sides, and I think it looks really pretty (I've tried strawberry filling and it wasn't as good and didn't look as nice)

A question though...how do you avoid mushy meals? The last things I attempted in the crock pot (other than cake) turned out so mushy that I didn't want to eat them (ick) Is that because I overcooked them or does iit just depend on the recipe?

ti
    solane: i've looked everywhere but i think i saw your post too late, i can't find the december issue of everyday food! :(

Could someone please take pity on me and scan or give me those four crockpot/slowcooking recipes??? I would really appreciate it!

and aubrigail ... have you tried searing meat all over? or cooking things like beans for a shorter amount of time?

there's a copy of the issue (#18) of everyday food for sale on ebay but the auction ends in about 12 hours:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...516433470&rd=1

this page has lots of good stuff: http://www.flylady.net/pages/FFT_SlowCookPoultry.asp

The best thing I've made is Chicken Chili Verde:

2 1/2 cups salsa verde (If you have a Trader Joe's store near you, use theirs -- it's the best!)
    1 4 oz can chopped mild chilies
    3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb boneless pork loin
    1 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 14 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
    Hot, cooked rice

Place 2 cups of the salsa verde in the Crock-Pot. Stir in the chilies. Add meat. Cook on high for 4 hours. Take meat out of Crock-Pot and shred. Add back to Crock-Pot along with remaining 1/2 cup salsa and the 2 cans of beans. Stir and cook on high for 30 more minutes. Serve over rice.

I love my crockpot(s)! I have many sizes, all bought at Goodwill for less than $5.
    I like to make baked apples with oatmeal cooked overnight -wake up to a warm breakfast (and the whole house smells great!)
    I also like to put hot beverages in it during a party - like hot buttered rum or spiced cider.
    And it is a great way to deal with mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving - just butter the crockpot (whilst cold) and add the mashed potatoes, turn it on low and it will keep for hours.

I just got a for diabetic crockpot recipe book - low carb and delcious.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Ads