Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

what do you make with this?

post for anyone who has a can/jar of something exotic and special...but don't know what to do with it. :)

i'll start! i have a can of black beans in my pantry. it's been there for, uh, a while now. can anyone recommend a recipe?

jangrl

2. # ADS

These burritos call for kidney beans, but I often use black beans instead: http://vegweb.com/recipes/burritos/996.shtml

I'm not a vegan, so I don't worry about the veganness of the mustard, and I usually put some grated cheese on top. They're good, and they freeze really well.

Black beans also work well in chili. My veggie chili recipe is kind of long to post, and it's basically adapted from the Joy of Cooking, but let me know if you want it and I'll type it all out.

Ok, here's a reasonably tough one. I have a jar of coriander chutney that I got from an Indian grocery. My roommate used to make sandwiches out of coriander chutney and Laughing Cow cheese on toast, but that Laughing Cow stuff is expensive and not very healthy, and I'm looking for other stuff to do with the chutney. Thoughts?

We dip samosas in the chutney - although ususally it's the tamarind kind. But the corriander one applies, too.

Samosas are basically curried knishes, so you could just make anything with potatoes and add some chutney to it.

i gave the whole cilantro chutney thing some thought and looked through a few recipes and came up with this. so i've never tried it!

but have you thought about maybe combining it with some yogurt and marinating chicken with it?

curry and cilantro would taste wonderful with the chicken, and the yogurt will tenderize the meat as well as cut the bite of the chutney a little.

jangrl

Oops! Long post!

For the black beans you could make Black Bean Dip. My husband makes it by frying some onion and garlic, adding a chopped tomato and some canned corn, adding hot sauce, salt, chilli powder, cilantro and a little lime juice and then adding a can of beans. Frying it all until it is hot (the beans should only be a little mushy, not refried style). Then we have it as one of the dips with nachos (along with sour cream, guac and salsa). Obviously make it as hot or as salty as you like.

Coriander chutney is usually used as a dipping sauce for samosas or pakoras, but you can think of it as an indian condiment (like ketchup) and use it accordingly. I was living in the south of India for 5 months and every meal was rice, a vegetable dish or two, some cutneys and some pickles. You just mix the chutney with the rice or the vegetables on some bites to get a different taste.
    I found this somewhere:
    Uses for Coriander (cilantro) Chutney:

1. Mix with yogurt, butter or margarine to use as a dip with snacks and entree
    2. Serve as accompaniment to Indian meals with rice dishes or Indian breads
    3. Use in continental and Southeast Asian as a condiment
    4. Spread on a sandwich or pita bread and fill with your favorites like ham, chicken or veggies
    5. Use as a dip with snacks and entrees
    6. Chutneys goes well with Western foods, hot and cold meats, stews and sausages.
    7. Spread chutney on sandwich breads.
    8. These chutneys can be used as a relish with all roasted meats, fish and chicken, spread over cold cuts or hamburgers
    9. Mix with soft cream cheese and spread on cracker
    10. May be used as a salsa just mix with fresh tomatoes
    11. Goes well with our snacks like Bhel Mix and Hot Mixx that are available in our store.
    12. A meal in India is a mound of rice or some flat bread, dal, a small serving of vegetables and definitely a dollop of a number of chutneys
    13. Excellent with butter as a spread in a sandwich along with sliced tomatoes and cucumber - this is a very popular tea time snack in India. It is also served to children when they come home from a long day at school.
    14. In India it is also used as a topping on rice/vegetable omelets called uttapams, omelets and other eggs. Very similar to Mexican salsa with eggs.

I have a similar product, a home-made Mango Vinaigrette from the Bahamas (which is not a salad dressing) that I'm guessing is also a condiment.
    Also what do I do with my Kasha? I know it's healthy, but I haven't used it yet.
    Thanks!

Black beans + mexican rice (rice+chili+tomato paste, or from a box) + corn + tomato + cheese = ready to go dinner. Yum! I keep cans of beans and tomatoes and rice boxes in the cupboard so I can throw this together anytime I'm not prepared with something fresh for dinner.

Hummus

Make some hummus and substitute the Black beans for the Chickpeas! Or black bean and cheese quesadillas!! YUM! We live on black beans at my house.

re: black beans. all the mentioned stuff is awesome, also:

black bean and zucchini pancakes: http://www.shape.com/recipes/3936

and then there's black bean soup (I don't have a recipe, though) and black bean chilaquiles (I have a recipe in a cookbook [at home], but there are tons online). yay black beans!

[edited to delete question to which I've found the answer]

i have a big fat jar full of blue masa harina (sp?) that i bought in a moment of complete over optimism. i made tortillas and corn chips and had a revelation -- rolling thin stuff and deep frying are not for me.
    so what the hell do i do with it all now?

You can make tamales with masa harina. It's time-consuming but worth it if you like tamales. Blue ones should be fine, even if a bit smurfy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads