Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Cookbooks?

favorite cookbooks

Oops, I called Aprodite a "novel" earlier. I actually meant that it's not a cookbook, per se, but an investigaion into aphrodisiacs. Fascinating stuff, and non-fiction, not made up. Includes recipes, and some great art involving fruits, etc. Excellent reading, excellent author, and yummy recipes--worth it just for the smells alone!

2. # ADS

My hands-down favorite cookbook is Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone. It's a big beautiful cookbook with photos. Everything I've made from there has been wonderful, some things transcendant. Her style is elegant, yet the ingredient lists are relatively short and everything is DOable. It was this book that took me from making my own pizza very occasionally as a special treat to whipping out homemade pizzas once a week. G

I am also a big fan of Nava Atlas. As a mother of young kids, I especially like The Vegetarian Family Cookbook (my girls and I go through and pick out recipes that look interesting to them) and The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Cookbook, for when I have to get dinner on the table quick and feel like something outside of my usual standbys. She has a good website with recipes, http://www.vegkitchen.com/.

I love, love, LOVE Cook's Illustrated Magazine. I think it blows away all the other cooking magazines. Everything, the tools, the food, the cooking methods, is researched and tested extensively, and the resulting recipes are amazing! The sugar cookies alone would have made my subscription worth it. I've pretty much given up on making desserts from any other source. Something cool is that they don't accept any advertising. So none of their research and testing is in any way influenced by advertisers. They also have a great website, http://cooksillustrated.com/. You have to be a paid subscriber to get most of their recipes. If you do subscribe, you get pretty much every recipe ever printed in the magazine, which is great! The illustrations and detail are often not there, though, so I find it worth it to subscribe to both. The discussion boards there are also very helpful. Cook's Illustrated is not vegetarian, if that is important to you, but I've had some great vegetarian meals adapted from some of their meat recipes (I'm not vegetarian myself -- I just don't eat much meat), and their dessert recipes alone are good reason to get this magazine.

My other favorite (and free!) cooking website is Epicurious, http://www.epicurious.com/. Here you'll find searchable archives of many years of recipes from Gourmet and Bon Appetit magazines, with user ratings and reviews. It's sort of a gourmet allrecipes.com.

Deirdre

Quote Originally Posted by rocket helene
    The Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook I got as a present from my Maman is always at hand... Yes :-), it's the vintage 50's binder with ugly food presentation colour combined with zany and zesty illustrations - full of advice, short on ingredients, I could rant for hours cause I love it, even though I don't always find everything there.
    I love this book! I used to bake a lot when I was a kid, and I used my mom's beat-up book that used to be my grandmothers'. Nice memories!

Now I have the reprint, and I love the illustrations of smiling strawberries and salt and pepper shakers. I laugh out loud at some of the illustrations.

My grammy lent me her "Four ingrediant cookbook" which is nice for those of us that are broke and can't find really different ingrediants at the regular grocery store.
    I also used to like to go on allrecipes.com but I think something is screwy with that website, it always makes my computer freeze up. I can't really affort to buy cookbooks!

This isn't a cookbook per se, but I have a subscription to Everyday Food and I think it's wonderful...I know it's Martha-related, but hey, it has great recipes and pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Renegadesofdork
    This isn't a cookbook per se, but I have a subscription to Everyday Food and I think it's wonderful...I know it's Martha-related, but hey, it has great recipes and pictures!
    i love it, too!

Most (all?) of my favorites have already been listed:

Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
    How to Be a Domestic Goddess
    The Moosewood Cookbook
    The Enchanted Broccoli Forest
    How It All Vegan
    Garden of Vegan

and, though I am a bit embarassed to admit it, The Cake-Mix Doctor is quite good & has lots of lovely pictures in the front.

Ooo . . . I want the Alton Brown cookbook now!

- Steph

My current favourite was my last birthday present. 'Feast' by Nigella Lawson
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...599282-7794301

It has a lot of basic recipes that I'll probably be cooking for the rest of my life. Penne alla vodka. I will say no more...

Also 'Indian Cookery' by Madhur Jaffrey.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...599282-7794301

My dad has the first edition of this cookbook that came out about 20 years ago. My hubby discovered how great it was from borrowing it, and my parents bought him his own copy for christmas. If you don't think you're hungry, just start one of these curries and you'll be salivating before you know it.

I am another big fan of How it All Veagn and the Garden of Vegan, but my favorite cookbooks are by Robin Robertson. Not only are her cookbooks vegan, but they feature incredibly rich recipes that go over well with everyone.

i love how to cook absolutely everything, and i really love cook 1.0 a fresh approach to the vegetarian kitchen.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads